Help with Prelude 2.2VTEC 1996

Peter

Hello !

I am new to this site. I have just inherited a 'P' reg Prelude 2.2 VTEC. It's a beautiful car and is a good runner with a recent MOT. However it needs a paint job (the lacquer has peeled) and the headlamps have been bodged so that needs sorting out. Only mechanical issue is that there is a loud squeal on starting that fades after 30 secs or so - I'm told it's the water pump bearing that settles down once the water gets round?

Otherwise it's in good nick.

I really don't know whether to sell it to an enthusiast as-is (if so where do I advertise it), do it up and sell it then, or just keep it. Anybody able to help will get free beer when we are in the same pub.

Peter.

Hi Peter....welcome to the Forum

It sounds more than a water pump bearing, more like an auxiliary belt tensioner.

Easy to diagnose.....remove the aux belts and see if the noise disappears. 

Sometimes, dripping water onto the belts and round by the tensioner works, if the noise disappears then it is either a dry belt or a tensioner bearing.

It would make a great car for someone who wants a classic Honda

Cheers . Trevor

Thanks Trevor, will have a look at that. Honda belt tensioners eh... I remember those on the old Honda CB twin motorbikes   🙂

Anyone who has a take on whether I should restore it before sale, dell as-is, or indeed keep it ? Also advice on the best place to sell it...

Cheers

Peter