Is the ISHIFT the same as the sequential box

conkers

Hi

Stupid newbie question....Just looking at buying a 2008 civic which is listed as sequential manual. I have also seen sequential autos and wondered if these are different or if they are just different names for the  ISHIFT system? MY missis doesn't want to drive an auto or semi auto and I have heard that the I SHIFT system can be problematic?

Ta in advance!

Hi....welcome to the Forum

Here's an extract from Wikipedia which states the transmission being an electronically controlled semi-automatic

The Honda I-SHIFT is a 6-speed semi-automatic transmission (a type of transmission with a hydraulic computer-controlled clutch). Honda’s I-SHIFT only debuted recently on the European market Honda Civic hatchback, pairing it with the 1.4 i-VTEC and 1.8 i-VTEC engines. Honda Jazz United Kingdom, January 2010 - January 2011, 1.4 i-VTEC, replaced by updated CVT transmission from February 2011.

Useful link for further information:

https://h-tune.co.uk/club/threads/honda-i-shift-explained.16964/live?page=1

However, they do have history of problems and worth considering over a manual transmission

Thanks Trevor - so a car listed as sequential manual is an I-Shift - sorry to be an idiot - I am not clear and I do not want to travel a considerable distance to find out! (I know lazy etc)