Possible purchase...

Scipio Africanus

Hi everyone, I am new to the Honda forum, but I am already an active member of both Volvo and Ford forums.  My current 'garage' of cars includes the following:

2004 Volvo C70 2.0T convertible

2002 Mondeo 2.5 V6 Zetec S

2001 Mondeo 2.5 V6 Ghia X

2001 Honda Civic 1.6

I am thinking of adding a 2001/51 Honda Accord Type V.  Never owned an Accord before and I wonder if anyone has any advice from a potential buyers perspective?  The car I am viewing (tomorrow) is a 2001/51 2.3 Type V in black with circa 143,000 miles on the clock, looks in excellent condition from the photo's, has four previous owners, a good history and full MoT for £950.  Bargain or not?  Appears to have had some front subframe repair at this MoT, and there is some rust on front and rear subframes, not unusual for an eighteen year old car!  I hope that it looks as good in the flesh, if so I think I am having it.  Any comments, advice etc would be greatly appreciated.....

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Thanks Trevor!  The photos are always better than real life!  Let’s hope not in this case.  I’m viewing the car later today.  My only issue is the subframe rust and how advanced this is (front and rear).  Not familiar with this model, but I am assuming cambelt and not chain so hopefully the history will stack up too.

Cheers

Dave

I finally have the Accord!  Not as straightforward as I imagined; I made an offer of £750 which was accepted, then I backed out because I felt that there was too much money that needed spending on the car, then I changed my mind again and went for it!  This time for £700!

Having looked over the car it needs the following jobs addressing immediately:

1.  Cambelt - last one replaced about 44k agao, but in 2011, so well overdue.

2.  Power steering fluid cooler completely porous - I have sourced an excellent secondhand one for £85 with virtually no corrosion at all (it's been dry-stored for some time).

3.  The immobiliser antenna located around the ignition barrel is faulty - again, I have sourced a used replacement for £17.

I have started to clean the car up awaiting the replacement parts and the paintwork is exceptional for an eighteen year old car.  The bonnet has a few scratches and stone-chips, so may get a repaint in the Spring.  I have attempted to add a couple more images for now...but I am limited to 128kb max which is nuts???  Is there a reason for this?

Congratulations on your purchase!

Certainly looks a great car and if it needs a few things that are relatively inexpensive then so be it.

Keep us updated on the refurb progress.

p.s. we have increased the file size for photo attachments but worth reducing the size prior to posting up as this tends to jam up the server with massive images.