Drive belt question

DynamiteDan

Hi,

I have loud squeeling coming from my car, It looks like the drive belt. I wanted to ask how hard it is to change yourself?

I am training to be a mechanic but I am only 3 months into that. Is this something I should take on myself and how difficult is it? tia

Hi Dan...welcome to the Forum

I would have a look at it first and determine your skill level and also the tools required before diving into the task.
With me, its more limited space to get my hands in several different directions within the confined area between the engine and chassis 😞

Otherwise, it should be a straightforward enough task you should be able to attempt.

Let us know how you get on with it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2019 at 2:27 PM, Trevor said:

Perfect solution:-)

Which college are you at?  Highbury, Fareham?

Really sorry mate, Totally missed your post.

I'm at Highbury college. I asked them for help and they said yes but I haven't been for 5 weeks due to staff shortage and with it being xmas. So I couldn't wait that long and decided to have crack at it today. 

I bought a dayco belt and got the job done. It was a bit hard to get to but it wasn't too difficult. I just hope I got the tension right because it doesn't have an auto tensioner. It has like a worm drive adjuster plate I think it is called and a wing nut to do the tension.

I just went for a drive and I still have squeal although not as bad. Especially near full lock. Does this mean it's probably a pulley issue? The AC and Alternator pulleys look good but the crankshaft pulley had some wobble. Is that likely the problem?

Well done for having a go yourself, sometimes the best way to learn

I know a few of the guys at Highbury and I know they have been going through a bit of a turnover of staff lately which is a shame for the students....lets hope things improve.

The crank pulley movement is not a good thing but I don't think its responsible for the belt slippage.

If there is a squeal then this could be the PAS pump itself, especially if placed on full lock for an extended period, which is never a good thing anyway.

If the belt slips then tighten it some more but it can be detrimental to overtighten it in the first place so just keep an eye on it.

Ok thanks for the advice. I just realized that it has got EPS. So I am confused about the full lock thing now. I think I under tightened the belt so I did it again today to about 6-7mm roughly and haven't had a squeal since.

Yeah the college is in a bit of a crisis right now but fingers crossed because I am enjoying myself there so far.

• Like 1