Very worried about juddering on slow/full lock turns

JD68

Hi,

I have a 2011 CR-V. Lately it has been juddering (felt mainly through the steering wheel and also down by the pedals) when either on a full lock turn, whether forward or reversing, or an almost-full lock turn both in forward and reverse.

I am very concerned at the safety aspect of this, as well as clearly annoyed that it could happen.

Any help with what this might be; how serious; and what might need doing would be appreciated...

Thanks.

This sounds like a universal drive joint,which I have read will 'tick' at the beginning,if it is juddering it is well past that point,it will need to be replaced,you need either the LH or

RH drive shaft.You can buy this as a complete unite.You may be able to see it from underneath,when you say it judders it should show some grease or damage to the rubber boot

in the centre of the front drive wheels.You can get a new one,for about the same price of a secondhand one on Ebay.A new Honda one is about 3 or 4 times the price.This needs

to be done or you will end up stranded.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Could it also be that the rear diff oil is needing changed? I experienced something similar with a 2010 model. It was like a shuddering feel through the car. A relatively simple DIY job.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 2:22 PM, KennyM said:

Could it also be that the rear diff oil is needing changed? I experienced something similar with a 2010 model. It was like a shuddering feel through the car. A relatively simple DIY job.

This is a common issue and as Kenny says, its a simple DIY job as long as you have room to get under the car.
Simply buy the correct fluid    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-HONDA-CRV-DPS-FLUID-DIFF-OIL-1-LITRE/392495346713?epid=1415923714&hash=item5b628bb419:g:t-sAAOSwSONcM4GV

Drain the old fluid and refill with new fluid give it few days of turning full lock and this should resolve the issue.

Also, check that the noise is not coming from the front after you've changed the fluid as it could also have worn CV joints