Help Identifying 2012 (62) Civic

_Adam_

Morning!

I've just inherited a 62 plate Honda Civic 1.8 petrol for my late father. I've been looking to buy a Haynes manual and to give it a service but I'm having a bit of trouble being certain which parts I need as 2012 seems to be a boundary year for this model.

I was wondering if you guys could help me identify exactly which model I have and which manual/parts I need?

My first issue is the Haynes manual. The Haynes site returns this https://haynes.com/en-gb/honda/civic/2006-2012 which, at a glance, would be the one I need but it also states:

Does NOT cover Type R, IMA Hybrid or new Civic range introduced February 2012. Does NOT cover 2.0 litre petrol models

As a 62 plate which covers Sep 2012 - Feb 2013, does this mean it's not suitable?

There is also this one https://haynes.com/en-gb/honda/civic/2012-2015 but from what I can gather it's for North American models...

From my research I believe I have a MK9 with a R18Z4 engine. No ideal about it's model/trim level. Does this sound right?

Hoping someone can clear me up on this!

Cheers 😁

I guess this place is pretty quiet. Anyway, for posterity, here's what I've found out:

Hope this helps someone else!

Hi Adam

Thanks for the updated post, sorry no-one had responded to your previous one.

Have you got many jobs to carry out on the Civic, hence the reason for the manual or is it a case of being prepared just in case?

On 4/10/2020 at 6:38 PM, Trevor said:

Hi Adam

Thanks for the updated post, sorry no-one had responded to your previous one.

Have you got many jobs to carry out on the Civic, hence the reason for the manual or is it a case of being prepared just in case?

Hi Trevor,

I just wanted to give it a standard service: oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, etc. I'm not certain when the car last had it done and wanted to be. Luckily, most of these jobs are straightforward and you can find YouTube videos to help (though most are for the US Focus).

It's stuff like torque specs that I get a bit twitchy not knowing. I'm guessing if I get hold of the US or the MK8 Haynes manual the specs aren't going to be wildly different. I just thought for an eight-year-old car there'd be a manual out for it! I was also a bit surprised at how much of a struggle it was to find out definitively there isn't a manual and which mark/model I have.

You should be alright with all the basic maintenance tasks, can't think there are any difficulties you'd encounter on the way through it.
Quite normal stuff really just don't overtighten anything and thats about it

Good luck and let us know how it all goes

• 10 months later...

I know I'm resurrecting this post from the dead, so apologies. But I wanted to help future fellow strugglers. 

• As of the date of the post, to the best of my knowledge there isn't a Haynes manual (or any other straightforwardly available manual) for the MK9 Civic.

• The best resource I've found for service data (and I use "best" very loosely) is the Honda MARIS website . It's a pay-to-play deal, costing 10 Euros an hour, but should have all the service data and repair data you require for your specific model. I paid for an hour, stuck in my VIN, and saved-to-PDF as many of the common service tasks as possible within my hour. You've got to use Internet Explorer to navigate the site, which looks like it was made in 1995 and never updated, but it does work. Hit me up if you're the owner of a MK9 civic and I'll send you over what I've got.