Vibration from engine when turning wheel left or right

Mossy

Hi All, 

I have a Honda frv auto petrol 1.8 2008 model. 

I have been having this issue with my FRV for a while, when in park my engine will intermittently vibrate it sometimes can vibrate very aggressively if I reposition the steering a little the vibration will die down for a moment and start up again until I reposition the steering or it eventually stops vibrating it self. This mainly happens when the car is in park or neutral. It doesn’t happen when driving. I have already replaced power steering fluid and the o ring as I thought this might be the issue unfortunately it did not help. My brakes and pads are all relatively new, my tyres are poor and do need changing but I know this is not the issue as it happens whilst stationary. 

does anyone else have the same issue or know what this might be? 

my car unfortunately does have a slight piston slap in cylinder no 2 but this has no bearing on the performance of the car it’s been like that for 5 years. It’s done now 102000k and is otherwise trustworthy and reliable I just want to get rid of this horrible intermittent vibration? 

is it time to invest in a newer FRV? 

Hi....welcome to the forum

I know that crankshaft pulleys tend to break up on some Honda's so worth looking into the engine bay when the engine is at idle and in park.
See if there is any oscillation on the crank pulley and also if the drivebelts are twitching/slapping on rotation.

Sometimes, piston slap can be confused with a faulty crank pulley or defective drivebelts, usually noticeable in absence when the belt is removed

@Trevor  thanks, okay I will look into this it’s not something I considered. I have also been told to look into suspension and drive shaft components. The piston slap was identified by Honda dealership a year after I bought it from them at that time the car was still under warranty but they said that it wasn't covered and also replacing or fixing it would be more then the value of the car, this is more of a tapping noise and you can hear it more on cold startups.  I don’t think it has changed the performance of the engine much but I do think it’s impacted the MPG as I get around 19-20mpg. 

Its definitely worth removing the auxiliary drivebelt (that drives the alternator, etc) and listening to the engine at idle when cold.
If this removes the 'piston slap' noise then there's your answer.

To be fair, I have not encountered piston slap in an engine for many years and would be surprised it was in a modern day Honda engine

Let me know how this goes as now absolutely curious to know if this cures both issues