Screen washer failure

alc59

My 2008 Jazz front washer pump not working recently. Research on the 'net + Haynes manual revealed both front & rear pumps at bottom of reservoir, under the RHS wing. Hard to get to because of difficult to remove wheel arch liner.

Most times the pump fails because of stuck rotor (gummed bearings?). Some suggest hitting the motor to vibrate it and work it loose. I adopted a different approach: -

Ran the rear washer continuously until the reservoir was empty. Then heated a full kettle of water to near boiling point and poured into the reservoir. After about 15/20 mins, BINGO, pump working. Then topped up with screen cleaner fluid. Job done.

Suggest use washer about once a week to keep active.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 7:36 PM, alc59 said:

Thanks for the above. The hot water treatment has to be worth a try before embarking on taking stuff out to get

at the pump.

Ive had the whole front bumper off to replace the aircon condenser before, its not a difficult job at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Now fixed. Honda FRV front washer pump is £60+. Aftermarket Jazz 02-08 pump is £10 and fits. The difference is that the FRV has two pumps with connectors that ensure that you don't get the connections mixed up for the front and rear washer pumps. The aftermarket pump will accept either connector.

Thanks for your advice

Al

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/20/2020 at 12:57 PM, alc59 said:

Now fixed. Honda FRV front washer pump is £60+. Aftermarket Jazz 02-08 pump is £10 and fits. The difference is that the FRV has two pumps with connectors that ensure that you don't get the connections mixed up for the front and rear washer pumps. The aftermarket pump will accept either connector.

Thanks for your advice

Al

Hi Al. I hope you don't mind m jumping in on this one. I've just bought an 09 FR-V and I have no water to the rear spray nozzle. The front is good and I hear the pump motor when operating the back, but no flow. I've had the tube off the rear nozzle and nothing. I need to trace it back to the reservoir/pump, but it appears to be awkward to access. Can I ask how you got to the pump? Did you remove the wheel arch liner? If so, was this fairly straightforward?

Any info would be much appreciated.