HONDA CRV intermittent and unknown vibration

Hi all.

I'm new to car forums but I thought I would give it a go, I have a problem my CRV 2008, that mechanic can't cure.

I keep getting an intermittent vibration coming up through the steering wheel, sometimes it lasts for a second or two, other times it can last as much as twenty seconds..

Sometimes this is so bad the windscreen shakes as well. I happens all the time but it is more noticeable while on cruise control at between 38 and 40mph.

Has anybody heard of this or knows something about it. I would be very grateful for your help.

Thank you.

Hi .... welcome to the Forum

With due respect to your mechanic, it can be very difficult to diagnose dynamic imbalances as they are occurring whilst moving at speed.

The way I would approach it is to take each individual component one at a time, starting with the wheel balance (on all four wheels but start at the front first).
If these are out of balance then this can cause a shudder. Easy enough job for a tyre bay. Also get them to check the tyres are not damaged, e.g. when they spin the wheels that they tyres are not out of shape.

Next I would turn my attention to the front driveshafts ensuring that these are not damaged and even applying a jubilee clip to each one individually and turning it around the shaft incrementally to see if this adds a balance or makes it worse.

After that I would change the rear diff oil as this can cause a shudder but only usually at very low speeds on turning full lock.

Let us know how you get on with the above