Prospective Civic owner needs help

Hi.
I'm totally new to Hondas but I was impressed by what I read about the Mark 8 Civic on Parkers Guide when looking for a car for mainly commuting to work and back and the odd trip to the coast.
I'm looking to purchase one in the next few weeks and wondered whether there is anything I should look out for when going to see one, inherent faults, best engine, best spec etc? My commute is 13 miles round trip each day, is diesel best or petrol? I'd love an automatic but Parker's said that it was not very good, is that true?
Anything that could help me find the right Civic would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.

Hi Dave....welcome to the Forum

I suppose it is down to personal choice with engine and transmissions but I would highly recommend road testing any variations to make you own decision.
Unfortunately, some car reviews are personal opinions rather than true fact so it is worth looking at it independently.

Most Honda's nowadays are completely trouble-free but always worth getting a good warranty with the purchase just in case

• 3 weeks later...

Not so sure about diesel now as the ULEZ is being extended next year to the north and south circular roads and the diesels are chargeable but the petrol are not, well at the moment that is!

Has anybody got any feedback about the idrive automatic/manual gearbox? My wife would prefer an automatic but I don't want trouble down the line. 

• Like 1