Correct oil for 1.8 Petrol

Deet27

Going to do a service on my wifes 2010 Civic 1.8 Si and getting confused on the correct grade of oil for the engine.

Honda.ie states :- 0-20 https://weudealerimagesprd.blob.core.windows.net/ie33/siteassets/HGO Oil Application 02 - 20 YM.pdf

Honda Manual states:- use Genuine Honda Oil (ACEA A1/B1, A3/A3 OR A5/B5) no mention of grade

Haynes manual states:- Honda 5/40 or 0/20 

Castrol website :- Castrol Edge 5w-30 LL Or (0-30, 0-40, 5-40)

Shell website:- Helix SN Plus 0-20W or Helix Ultra AF 5w-30

Mobil Website :- Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30

As you can see there is a lot of conflicting information out there (Might be regional variations) But would be great full on a bit of direction on the correct type grade of oil to use on a uk car?

Thanks in advance Deet 

It can be a minefield to establish which oil grade is best for the engine.
As you say, it can be regional but in most cases except for highly exotic engines which would run 0w30, etc then most 16 valve engines would run nicely on 5w40 fully synthetic.

I would however state that it is more important to ensure that the ACEA specification is correct for the engine so in this case I would probably choose the Honda specs to base my choice of the make of oil and then go with a 5w30. 

I use Halfords as prices are quite keen and usually Castrol or Mobil, sometimes Petronis but as long as the ACEA spec is correct.

Cheers Trevor for your response.

I was going to get the Castrol Edge 5w-30 LL as its on offer on Opie Oil for £33.95 for 4 ltrs but looking at the specs its listed as a C3 oil. Dont understand why they are recommending a oil not to the correct ACEA Spec. 

think ill head to Halfords as they have Mobil 1 Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30 5lts for £28.40 at the mo (ACEA A5/B5) 

• Like 1