Getting my car through the MOT is always is a bit of a trial.

It takes ages to get the  car engine/exhaust warm enough to pass the emissions test .

I always use super 97 fuel with Redex  and whilst the car really drives well it still takes a while to get it hot.

The car is an import  (2005) so is there any engine management change I can make or is it a case of a decoke or something else ?

Thanks

John C

Hi John....welcome to the Forum

Generally, that engine is very efficient at burning fuel and keep emissions on the low side.

I would recommend using quality fuel and Redex prior to an MOT test but the most important thing is to keep the revs high for a distance (using a lower gear) and burn off any carbon deposits in the engine...commonly known as an 'Italian Tune-Up'

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 11:19 AM, Trevor said:

Hi John....welcome to the Forum

Generally, that engine is very efficient at burning fuel and keep emissions on the low side.

I would recommend using quality fuel and Redex prior to an MOT test but the most important thing is to keep the revs high for a distance (using a lower gear) and burn off any carbon deposits in the engine...commonly known as an 'Italian Tune-Up'

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for your response..

I have tried the quality fuel/ redex but  wonder whether its actually due to the lack of use (750 miles per year) or that  it requires  a modified EMS  to suit the UK fuel standards. 

5 hours ago, Trevor said:

I think it may be down to the limited use...incredibly low annual mileage!

Yes its probably once or twice  a month in the summer  and it stays in the garage most of the winter so I guess I should just get out there with the top down and   use it more often.

• Like 1