All Steering Problems rack, column, etc civic mk 7

stellac

Hi Guys.  New to the forum.

I have a civic 1.6se 5 door 2005. generation 7. Bought it at 5 years old 16k miles as someone wrote my mk 6 saloon off at 149k miles.... rear end smack!. 

its' 15 years old now and only  40k on it now.  About 3 years ago I noticed I had to correct the steering on the motorway .. would veer slightly to the right. Had tracking done. no change.  It was laid up for while on and off... because I was!   Had to get a jump start, eps light came on  but the mechanic cleared  it all okay. but since then the steering became worse, cornering left was nightmare.....i had several alignments.  3 separate garages said it was the steering rack, except honda because there were no fault lights, they didn't even bother to drive it.

As Honda wanted  £2213 for a new rack plus charges for dianostics... i went for a recond rack... hoping that would cure it! They found a dtc 22-01  vehicle speed sensor  but managed to clear it, but not until after they'd put the new rack in!... think they're suppose to clear all faults before they change the rack. I also asked them to do a wheel alignment becuase they hadn't done it.  Doesn't bode well does it?

The steering is better... but not right..from memory the steering was quite light... maybe overly so?

Steering wheel doesn't return to centre, it's very slow to return  and when moving slowly, i.e. parking- also found at 50mpg the car still veers to the right.. if I nudge the wheel it veers to the left! it's a bit notchy. Yes I know you're suppose to steer the car.. but I am literally having to place and hold the wheel...and at times it almost like weak power assist. 

Rang the garage to say it wasn't right... after much discussion and me having to keep calling them they've agreed to take it back and recheck the moving parts, should have been 2 days ago, now end of next week!.

What I've since  found that the steering height adjuster handle was very stiff... but I did get it undone... but the steering wheel didn't drop down as usual. Now I'm concerned that it's the steering column is faulty and needs to be replaced, .having read it on the 'net... but they didn't say why.? The symptoms are very similar to a faulty rack, only with a column fault the column doesn't drop down. 

Yes I know it's an old car, but it's in good nick and was hoping to keep it as really can't stretch to a new one... plus there's some many  expensive electrical faults nowadays... better the devil you know!. 

Incidently, apart from the 22-01 fault code, there's not been any warning lights coming up.

Has anyone had a recond steering rack done and it didn't work properly... what was the done to rectify it?

Has anyone had to replace the steering column... which part of it or the whole thing. Think there's 2 parts one's got  some electrical/magnetic bits ???

Has anyone had a problem with the height adjuster not working... could just be seized up or has it been damaged in some way... or is it that what's causing the steering problems . 

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I did check through but couldn't find anything so would be grateful if anyone can shed anylight on this... as the garage is dragging its feet and I'm beginning  to think  I made the wrong choice. Thanks guys. 

I'm not sure of the repair procedure for replacement of the rack and dialling it in after fitment.
But i have had issues with 'wandering' Honda's (CR-V) and it was the rear wheel toe that was out and allowing the vehicle to drift without have a hand on the wheel.
This was easily rectified with a Four-Wheel Laser Alignment at a small cost with no replacement parts needed.

On the CR-V, the rear suspension is adjustable but not sure on the mk7 Civic