Aftermarket head unit powering off

RoughNeck

Hi there,
I've wanted to change the head unit in my 2014 Honda Civic to something a little bit more modern. I took the car to Halfords as they seemed to be good value. However, they tried installing the stereo only to find that the stereo would turn itself off after about a minute or so. They tried two different units (Kenwood and Pioneer) and the same thing happened. In the end I think they just gave up as they didn't know what the issue was. Apparently they tried a few cables too, to no avail. Thankfully, I was not charged for anything.

Does anyone know why this might happen? The standard stereo works fine, so doesn't seem to be a power issue (or a cabling issue?). I spoke to Honda, and they weren't sure why it would do that either, particularly if the standard stereo works. I also spoke to a local garage who said that it could be something with the comms/electronics system that is causing it - giving me the example of when a brake light goes out, the car may over compensate on another bulb to make it brighter. I'm not really sure what was meant by this , but I guess relating to the distribution of power?

Anyone experienced anything like this before? The local garage said they'd give it a go for me, but if the same thing happens I'd have just wasted money on the head unit and the fascia kit (around £300 for both), and possibly the labor.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Hi Jon....welcome to the Forum

I would say the garage is correct. 

What they are referring to is the CanBus electronics within the vehicle and it is possible that the wiring will need changing to a permanent live that isn't controlled by the CanBus.

Alternatively, you would need to programme the radio into the vehicle as it is non-standard and the vehicle is rejecting it as it not recognised in the electronic memory.

Let us know how you get on with it

• 4 weeks later...

I know the answer.

A can bus radio does not have an ignition. It works via your can bus system.

In your original wiring loom, you won't have one for your new radio. You need to find a new ignition supply near the fuse box and put a 7.5 amp fuse in line with the new supply. This will then go to the ACCESSORY WIRE, usually yellow at the back of your radio.