Sat nav

Luke Smith

if you're using copied discs, stop. these drives are super sensitive to copied discs which usually result in the drives working several times harder just to read the discs, you'd no doubt hear the drive spinning hard and fast all the time.

As for the drive, it's most likely down to the optical block. Sometimes it's a case of cleaning, more severe issues mean replacing the part. In the past i've managed to source and replace the entire drive inside the housing, it's an Alpine part.

If you happen to be looking for genuine discs on ebay, there's a seller selling the v2.11 discs for around £21, these are not genuine so avoid them. they look the part but overwork the drive the same way as copied discs typically would.

Not worked since I have owned the car, purchased from a family member. As far as I know its an original disc. OK so worth a shot just getting a cleaning disc? I can not use any other functions due to the error, the screen just goes black and then times out. 

Would really like to actually use the radio properly and change the setting for the heater 🤣

Do you have a link to replacement parts please? 

If it's an original disc I wouldn't bother trying to source another, very unlikely to be the disc if it's an original. The very latest available were 2011/12 anyway so at best it'd still be 8 years out of date.

Some have had luck with cleaning the lens. I never found any disc cleaners effective and always opted for opening the drive to give it a proper clean.

I'll have a dig around for the alpine part details, though I know they're not on eBay anymore and it did come from Japan!