My car is shaking in 4th and 5th gear

George

Hi everyone 

New member here 

I have a Honda Accord estate 2.2 IDTEC Type S 60 plate and from couple of weeks ago my car is shaking really bad but only in 4th and 5th gear, I can feel a slight vibration in the 3rd gear as well but not all the time, I've been told that it might be the crankshaft pulley. Anyone else had the same problem? 

Thank you 

Hi.....welcome to the Forum

Is it vehicle speed related rather than gears and revs?

e.g. is it at 60mph and then disappears as you get to about 70mph

If so, then it is a static wheel imbalance and need to balance the front wheels

• 2 weeks later...

It's somewhere between 40 and 60 mph, after that I can feel just a slight vibration. This is what I've been quoted by a local garage but I think it's a lot of money for a drive shaft. And sorry for the late reply but I've been busy lately 

IMG_20201126_175859.jpg

If it is the driveshaft that is out of balance then you can prove this by placing a jubilee clip around mid way along the shaft and see if this cures the imbalance.
You can adjust the point of balance and even add a washer or coin under the clip to counterbalance the shaft.
We used to use this technique on propshafts to find the imbalance and then weld a weight onto the shaft in the correct place