dpf issues

Jase68

hey guys having issues with my 2.2 dtec accord. i bought car from a garage in southampton and had it delivered to me in gloucestershire, car seemed ok but a bit down on power anyway a week after i got it on a friday dpf light come up and went into limp mode. took car to honda dealer and had force regen went much better after that. 2 weeks later on a friday wtf dpf light comes on again, getting a bit pissed off with car already now lol. my mechanic got his mate who is a proffesional dpf cleaner to come and clean dpf, great sorted he said dpf is totally clean nice one. a few weeks later ffs dpf light again comes up and bloody limp mode, am really sick of this car now and garage i bought car from ignores all calls and emails even though all cars bought from garages must have 3 month warranty! anyway take it back to my mates garage hooks up code reader and zero error codes only issue they finally found was exhaust temp sensor reading very low, so replaced that and its been happy days until now another bloody friday and guess what dpf warning light and limp mode wtf. is their anything else that could cause this cause im totally fed up with this car now and im self employed and its my only vehicle and i need it for work. any ideas would be much appreciated as cant take much more before i just take car to the scrap yard. HELP

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just wondering if you have got the Honda fixed as I have the exact same issue.

I have also changed the dpf  and a cracked egr pipe (apparently a fairly common fault)

Still have limp mode and no fault codes.

Will drive normal for approx 200 to 250 miles after forced regen. then limp mode again.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, daihot.

• 11 months later...

I have a 2014 Accord and the DPF has just gone at 115,000 miles so i had it cleaned and i to have suffered the same problem. It seems that the pre 2009 models had a software modification but post that the software has never been changed to deal with this problem. The pressure sensor checks out as being fine and the light simply comes on in the first instance at about 1000 miles then the next is 800 and so on. The Honda experts tell me i am basically stuffed. The ECU has some very tight parameters set in and the pressure sensor naturally sends data to the ECU which initially treats  the new readings from the cleaned DPF as a regen condition because the new base parameters are not in accord with the manufacturers settings. After extensive research the choice is stark either remap the car and remove the DPF which is illegal or replace the DPF at the extortion price charged by Honda of circa £1500. The part was imported for a short time from Japan no doubt by the produced that makes for Honda and sold for about £445 but that avenue was stopped very quickly no doubt by Honda. So we are all supposed to lie back and be shafted by Honda. Someone needs to generate the software amendment so the ECU accepts the wider parameter of a cleaned DPF there would be many customers because the problem is common.

• 4 months later...

I appreciate this post has a long lapsed time Vs that from Tony Thomas, but a question to Tony. Can you expand on what you mean by “the cleaned DPF parameters are used as the regen condition”. What are the specific manufacturers settings/ thresholds that need to be achieved in order that the cars ECU does not get locked into this ever decreasing cycle of miles/ delta P increase to DPF blocked/ limp mode initiation ?

Did you fit a new Honda DPF ? and if so, have you had any further issues since December ??

For info.

I have just had a new after market DPF fitted to a 2008 2.2 dtci due to on-going limp mode issues. Achieved 900 miles before limp mode returned. Now only achieved 300 miles after forced regen before limp mode re-occurred.

Thanks in advance for any further advice

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We had the same problems listed above. Previously trusted garage assured us non OEM dpf would be fine and could be mapped into system. Not true. Honda dealer assured us genuine item would remedy - correct! Cost of £1065 then threat of legal action obtained refund from non-Honda and no longer trusted garage. The truth is if diesel cars with dpf do not have regular long runs to activate dpf  auto-regeneration temperatures, this problem will repeatedly occur. 

The truth is diesels are not suitable for most journeys on congested roads in UK.

Cut your losses and opt for petrol/hybrid/electric.

• 9 months later...
On 5/8/2023 at 10:37 AM, Rob Har said:

We had the same problems listed above. Previously trusted garage assured us non OEM dpf would be fine and could be mapped into system. Not true. Honda dealer assured us genuine item would remedy - correct! Cost of £1065 then threat of legal action obtained refund from non-Honda and no longer trusted garage. The truth is if diesel cars with dpf do not have regular long runs to activate dpf  auto-regeneration temperatures, this problem will repeatedly occur. 

The truth is diesels are not suitable for most journeys on congested roads in UK.

Cut your losses and opt for petrol/hybrid/electric.

Hi I have just had the DPF! come on. I bought the car last year 2.2 diesel 64 plate with 90500 miles on the clock. It now has 103200 and do a 70 mile round trip every week 2-3 times per week. Also did 3000 miles when driving to Spain last year.  I wouldn’t say I drive it slow but don’t redline it either. So going from the last reply is it best to book it into the main dealer.