Car won't start

GreenShell

Hi. I'm having an issue with my car not that's not starting.

Had a problem for a few months now. I would turn the key and it wouldn't immediately start. I could hear the crank sound. I'd have to hold the key forward and it would start after several seconds. Then it completely died.

I've had 3 people look at it.

The first person from a local garage bought a battery incase it was the battery but he said it wasn't. Lights were coming on etc.

The second person from a different garage I recovered it to changed the starter motor thinking that was the issue. That got the car working. However, a few days later, the same problem started with it not starting immediately. I'd have to turn and hold the key forward and the car would take more than 5-6 seconds again before it started. I took it back to the garage and they said it might be the battery. I left it with them and when they checked the battery the following morning, they said it was due to the battery. I ended up getting the battery replaced.

Then, a couple of weeks later, the same issues started again. Car wouldn't start properly. Then, last week, it wouldn't start again.

I called someone else to have a look. He said it could be related to the starter motor or it could be the compressor or some other type of connection but he wouldn't know until he's had a look at it at the garage.

In the meantime, I called the second garage again. Told them the problem hadn't been diagnosed properly and I was out of pocket in the hundreds. They did say they would look at it again and won't charge for that but I'll have to pay for recovery again.

Any idea what the problem could be? Thanks.

Hi....welcome to the Forum

I would start by determining whether it is a fuel or electrical issue.
Has the Crankshaft Sensor been checked?
If the starter is turning over slowly then it may well be the battery. But also be sure to check all earth connections and leads.

If it is fuel then start with the filter and work forward from there.

Fault codes would help to narrow down the possibilities.

Let us know how you get on with it

On 1/6/2021 at 3:37 PM, Trevor said:

Hi....welcome to the Forum

I would start by determining whether it is a fuel or electrical issue.
Has the Crankshaft Sensor been checked?
If the starter is turning over slowly then it may well be the battery. But also be sure to check all earth connections and leads.

If it is fuel then start with the filter and work forward from there.

Fault codes would help to narrow down the possibilities.

Let us know how you get on with it

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I got it to the second garage. It wasn't the starter motor that was at fault. Everything you mentioned was checked. They said the fault is with the flywheel. They went and spoke to Honda directly. Only had the car for under a year and it's probably gonna be a write off. 😞

On 1/11/2021 at 8:34 PM, VanDerSnow said:

Did the garage sorted it? Would be surprised if it was flywheel..

They said Honda said. Cost me a lot in labour just for them to look it. They quoted me the price of what I paid for the car for a new one (around £1200). I said no. I only bought the car recently. I've given it to the people I bought it from. They're gonna have a look. It's been a nightmare. Changing starter motor, battery, paying for recovery 3 times and it could all be for nothing. 😔 What makes you say it might not be the flywheel? It's done over 100.000 miles.

I'd be surprised if flywheel failed. In diesels, yes, many reasons why, But petrol, it's a single mass flywheel and a lot less cranking force. Can't believe it would cost a lot to check too, there should be cover plate between gearbox and the engine which when removed exposes a lot of flywheel. Can be seen in the image below.

Screenshot from 2021-01-13 20-26-31.png