Water in passengers footwell

John the Handyman

I have just bought a 2007 Jazz with full service history and only 20,000 miles on the clock.  However I now find that there is loads of water collecting in the passengers footwell whenever it rains.  It appears to be coming in from the bulkhead somewhere although because of the mats etc I can't see where.  . The engine compartment is totally clean (ie no leaves or dirt and stuff) Has anybody got any ideas please?  So far I have vacuumed out about 8 litres of water.  It isn't from the air conditioning unit because it  hasn't been used yet.  It isn't from the door seal either.

I would check further inside the bulkhead as it can collect due to blocked drain tubes, which can usually be cleared out by running a metal coat hanger through it and then see if anything runs out from under the car

Hi thanks for answering so quick but whatever might get blocked, surely any overflow water should just drain back into the engine compartment.  As far as I would think, there shouldn't actually be any way where water could get past the bulkhead into the inside.    It should be sealed apart from wiring and pipes etc passing through.  After all you wouldn't want fumes and stuff winging their way through 'Holes' in the bulkhead.  But also thinking about your suggestion,  the only other thing i can think of is that where the air intake is, when water gets in there which it must do because of it being there under the windscreen, if any drainholes do get blocked that must mean that any collection of water in that area would mean that the water might get into the inside through the heater air filter. If so how to get to the necessary drain holes for cleaning?    John the Handyman.   

• 3 weeks later...

The drain holes are in the corner of the windscreen. They take water from the edges of the screen and drain them through channels between the inner wing and the  bulkhead . So no fumes from the engine. These collect crud over the years and become blocked . 

An airline from a compressor or get some 1mm garden wire from a DIY Shop and gently work it down the drain holes.

Jazz owner for 9 years , and I have had to do this to mine a couple of times.

• Thanks 1