swap 2.xx sat nav unit for newer 3.00 in accord ? can it be done ?

jimbojim

Hi all 2005 Mk7 2.4 auto exec. can I swap/change my version 2.XX DVD unit for a later 3.XX unit from a late 2007 Accord ? The physical size is the same as is the mounting - but the wiring/plugs are not ! the newer unit has more plugs - I am sure it can be done 🙂 (says me who does not have a clue) obviously the wiring would have to be altered (and I don`t need voice operated) but would  any other parts need to be changed, the signal receiver for instance !

I could buy a 2.11 update disc from Honda for around £150 (which I feel is a scandal) that would only take it to 2011 at best, still way out of date ! I have a TomTom anyway which is superb anyway AND of course a mobile phone - all of which out-perform the Honda system by a mile ! (no pun intended) I just would like to have my car up-to-date !!!! If it is possible and would not cost an absolute fortune I would probably do it - ANY help and advice would be most welcome PLEASE !

Cheers  

the updates for the 3.xx system stopped in 2018 so if you do manage to swap the system it's a matter of having a less out of date system rather than an up to date one.

as for the swap itself, the looms connecting the stereo and drives are different. at the very least it'd be a case of splicing and matching the cables from 2 looms. there's also the slight difference in the rear heated screen and heated mirror controls. 2.xx system will have heated rear screen only from the centre console, with heated mirrors on the door switch. the 3.xx combines heated mirrors and rear screen on the console, with the door switch being folding. that's what springs to mind and what i can see, the would be much more to the list i'd expect. 

Hi, qc2 - thanks for your reply, seems like I will be leaving it as it is and using the TomTom - reason I was considering it in the first place is that my 6 stack cd has packed up - I have bought another head unit to swap it with so thought why not do it all at the same time whilst dash is in bits !! Gutted ! looks like I am going to have to look at fifteen + old maps whilst driving - I must admit I am not impressed with the customer support/backup that HONDA provide - or should I say DON`T provide ! Cars are great - backup non-existent !

Not my first HONDA ---- 1st was Honda Benley 125 cc - at age  17 brand new - seized up within 4 months of use HONDA did not want to know, even though under new warranty ! Swore I would never use HONDA again - years later bought 1995 Accord 2.2 Aerodeck - Great car - and now have this 54 plate 2.4 auto exec tourer since 2008 - Love the car ! Local HONDA dealer wrecked the auto box (out of there depth) cost for HONDA to wreck it nearly £700 cost to supply and

fit re-con box £2100 pounds Total = just short of £2700 Thanks HONDA ! The re-con box was NOTHINNG to do with HONDA but was with Tameside Transmissions, Manchester - Can not praise them enough - really know what they are doing ! 

Anyway, thanks qc2 again for your reply (think I remember your Avatar from HondaKarma site) much appreciated.

jimbojim

i keep mine working just to access the rest of the controls the screen is needed for! the maps part i'd use as a backup but my phone is always connected via my Grom audio.

Swapping out the unit with the changer is simple enough and used on ebay they're pretty cheap

1 hour ago, jimbojim said:

Anyway, thanks qc2 again for your reply (think I remember your Avatar from HondaKarma site) much appreciated.

jimbojim

oh the glory days of Honda Karma!

I'm glad you're loving your Accord. Similarly, I'm back in another one having missed the one i sold 3 years ago. The Civic Hybrid i've had in between has been great for my commute but since Covid i've had no more commuting so jumped at the chance of getting another Accord.

Hi qc2, I have actually bought TWO head units complete AND a spare DVD nav unit with 6.2 ver. disc - yeah I know "over the top" but I thought - disassemble and clean the lazer of the spare - swap it, force download back to where I am now - I was tempted for £20 to buy the 2.11 ver. updated disc but worried it will burn the unit out ? Might be worth a try as I have the spare drive unit - I bought TWO head units in case one of them did not work ! with my luck they will both be duff 😀 - did not want to take everything apart so a better chance with TWO - just waiting for better weather now - I really miss playing cd`s - I bought some time ago a new slave cassette player and all the leads/mountings/facia etc., I have loads of cassettes - but no player ! Might even fit that while I`m at it - we will see, showing my age now but hey if it keeps me sane and happy - why not ?

Anyway enough now.

Cheers.    

the £20 disc if it's the seller on ebay, i've tried. although appearing genuine they're copied and certainly didn't work for me. behaved exactly like a crap copy i've experimented with before in the past.

You can't tell based on appearance unless you compare side by side with a genuine disc, the textures on the print face are different.

Hi, yes that`s the one ! Thanks for the info - I was seriously considering getting one but don`t think ill bother !

Just curious now, my disc is ver. 2.1 - my car is 2004/5  (54 plate but registered in January) how come it is nor ver. 2.04 or 2.05 ?? that would make more sense - does that mean my disc is 2001 - I don`t know how they are listed if the update disc is ver. 2.11 which is presumably 2011 - confusing !

Anyway thanks for your input - incidentally my car is in for its mot at 1.00 pm today, everything crossed ! should be ok not covered 1500 miles since last mot !!!

Anyway thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Hi , Fitted replacement head unit over the weekend also fitted USB Aux. while I was at it, glad to say everything working perfectly - I have also bought an updated 2.11 disc from "original map store NOT off eBay" £24.99 - I don`t know if its a copy or not - I can not tell the difference between my original ver 2.01 disc and this one !! I did check the web for reviews and there feedback is all positive so I have taken a chance -  I have a spare working DVD nav unit in case  it does cause it to fail so thought it was worth taking the risk, I  do not know  how to update the system, do I just put the disc in and let it update itself ? or is there more to it than that - I don`t want to mess it up ! I have seen somewhere  "push and hold map + menu + return together , then push unit check and then force download" then let it update !!!!  Do you know if that is correct ?? Any advice most welcome !

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Jim

• 2 months later...

if you're using a newer disc, the update should initiate automatically. if it doesn't then it's most likely an issue with the disc/drive.

You only need to force DL if reverting to an older version.

Hi qc2 - update disc all up and running but had to "force download" all now working perfect - did not fit the cassette player after all but fitted an aux usb socket instead (now in the 21st century) I have also bought a complete set of Burl Walnut interior trim surrounds - thought I might brighten up the inside and make a bit of a change - I keep threatening to change my Accord for a smaller car, but it just keeps doing what it should and passes the mot every year, I have a good relationship with my local garage (not Honda) and always ask them to do a good inspection while they have it and they tell me no problems so I end up keeping it ! - I have always looked after all my cars and this one particularly, I love it !  All service record`s and every receipt etc., from the day it was new in 2005 - I bought it in 2008 - Only thing it needs is a new set of number plates which I will be getting soon, the rest of the car is perfect ! Incidentally I did not realise what a load of faffing about you have to do these day`s to be able to buy a new set - I would have thought the registration document would be sufficient proof - but not the case ! Crazy !!!! Anyway thanks for all you advice.

Cheers

Jim