Honda FRV Clutch Issues

Barty9

Hi, our lovely Honda FRV 2.2 diesel is having difficulty getting in first and second gear. Sometimes you have to dip the clutch 2 or 3 times to select the correct gear. Any thoughts or opinions welcomed? 

Hi....welcome to the Club

Sometimes its difficult to engage first gear and usually 'smashes' into second gear on some Honda transmissions.

I find it is easier to take my time to engage the gears (e.g. from 1st to 2nd) and it then engages smoothly.

The tendency is when pulling away to use 1st gear as a launch gear and then whilst accelerating hard 2nd then takes the brunt when engaging

• 3 months later...

Clutch is going on my FRV, 130k miles, looks like clutch kits are going for around €250-300, my mechanic says he can have it all done for me for less €400. Am I right in thinking you would normally look at replacing the clutch at around 150k miles or so?

• 7 months later...

Hi. Just giving some friendly advice about what brands of clutch and flywheel to fit following a three week debacle we've had. I bought a Borg and Beck clutch and Valeo dual mass flywheel (DMF) from parts in motion as they were a great price and respected brands. These were about £60 cheaper than LUK and as at the time LUK were out of stock I opted for these. Big mistake.

To shorten the story, the clutch and DMF were fitted correctly by a decent garage and the gear lever really had to be forced to engage gears, 5th and reverse were particularly difficult especially when the engine was hot. The garage was reluctant to give back to me but as we needed the car we took back. It was awful.

Parts in motion acknowledged the problem without quibble and sent out an LUK clutch (at extra cost) as it was deemed this was the problem as Borg and beck is a non adjustable clutch, luk is self adjusting and OEM spec. 

Fitted this, same problem. Labour bill now £416.

Advised parts in motion, and again, without quibble, sent out an LUK flywheel and bolts and gave me a 10% discount for the hassle.

All now fitted (another £180) and the car drives like new. So advice is, Only use matching clutch and DMF not mis matched brands and I suggest only LUK. No reason why it shouldn't work with other brands according to catalogues but thought I'd share the advice.

Parts in motion are now going through their warranty procedure to get me the £416 labour returned for incompatible parts and original parts cost back a further £478.98.

Hope this helps someone as surely frv/CRV/civic and accord would have similar issues.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/24/2022 at 6:11 PM, Jivetalkin said:

Hi. Just giving some friendly advice about what brands of clutch and flywheel to fit following a three week debacle we've had. I bought a Borg and Beck clutch and Valeo dual mass flywheel (DMF) from parts in motion as they were a great price and respected brands. These were about £60 cheaper than LUK and as at the time LUK were out of stock I opted for these. Big mistake.

To shorten the story, the clutch and DMF were fitted correctly by a decent garage and the gear lever really had to be forced to engage gears, 5th and reverse were particularly difficult especially when the engine was hot. The garage was reluctant to give back to me but as we needed the car we took back. It was awful.

Parts in motion acknowledged the problem without quibble and sent out an LUK clutch (at extra cost) as it was deemed this was the problem as Borg and beck is a non adjustable clutch, luk is self adjusting and OEM spec. 

Fitted this, same problem. Labour bill now £416.

Advised parts in motion, and again, without quibble, sent out an LUK flywheel and bolts and gave me a 10% discount for the hassle.

All now fitted (another £180) and the car drives like new. So advice is, Only use matching clutch and DMF not mis matched brands and I suggest only LUK. No reason why it shouldn't work with other brands according to catalogues but thought I'd share the advice.

Parts in motion are now going through their warranty procedure to get me the £416 labour returned for incompatible parts and original parts cost back a further £478.98.

Hope this helps someone as surely frv/CRV/civic and accord would have similar issues.

Great bit of advice thanks for posting 👍🏻