Bonnet Release Cable Issue.

CivicCol

I broke the bonnet release knob on my 04 2.0 L 'S' (Series 7, 5 Door) and now have to keep a pair of pliers in the glove box for opening bonnet.  I don't think replacing the whole cable is all that difficult... but probably a PITA.  It goes through the bulkhead, inside inner wing and around the engine bay.. underneath the plastic cowl over the radiator..then just past the bonnet catch and then doubles back to the catch. 

But..for a few quid..numerous suppliers online have a 'bodge'.  It's an alloy replacement knob which fixes to the existing cable end with a couple of grub screws.

Has anyone used one?

The major difficulty seems to be getting the plastic cover off from around the release cable end in the r/h/ footwell.  I can get the outer edge of it away from the door frame, but I can see no way to get the whole cover off without breaking something.  It seems to be very firmly fixed to the floor.  Please tell me I don't have to start taking carpets out!!

Anyone?

Edited by CivicCol