Irritating throttle issue

Tony 1969

Hi all, I have an irritating fault from my 2005 accord 2.0L. cruising on the motorway if I take my foot off the throttle the rest my foot back on it will lurch a little. As soon as I'm past that acceleration is smooth and so is cruising. It also does it slightly on pull away but it does seem to be the first few mil of peddle travel.
Would anyone know what could be causing this. There are no error codes or fault lights. I've not owned the car long so I don't know if it's a fault or just the way accords are
Many thanks Tony

Hi Tony

Many years ago, when cars were in their infancy with electronics, this very issue was down to wear on the throttle potentiometer (sensor that measure throttle pedal angle/movement) and if there was wear on a certain part of the potentiometer track (usually low down as this would be the most used part of the track if driving around town) and it gave the very same issue as you are describing.

Not saying that is the case, but very similar.
You could do with scanning the pedal sensor or throttle body sensor for voltage and see if there is a spike in the readings.
It may be within the threshold which is why the EML doesn't come on.

Also, worth checking Air Flow/Mass Meter for contamination and clean it up to see if that makes a difference.
While you're under the bonnet, check for any splits in any rubber hoses as could be drawing unregulated air

On 9/24/2021 at 9:40 AM, Trevor said:

Hi Tony

Many years ago, when cars were in their infancy with electronics, this very issue was down to wear on the throttle potentiometer (sensor that measure throttle pedal angle/movement) and if there was wear on a certain part of the potentiometer track (usually low down as this would be the most used part of the track if driving around town) and it gave the very same issue as you are describing.

Not saying that is the case, but very similar.
You could do with scanning the pedal sensor or throttle body sensor for voltage and see if there is a spike in the readings.
It may be within the threshold which is why the EML doesn't come on.

Also, worth checking Air Flow/Mass Meter for contamination and clean it up to see if that makes a difference.
While you're under the bonnet, check for any splits in any rubber hoses as could be drawing unregulated air

Thank you Trevor , I will ask my friend to put his scanner on and read the live data. I will check the other points you listed and see where we end up 

• Like 1