faulty electric tailgate on 2005 accord - Help please

jimbojim

Hi all, 2005 accord 2.4 auto exec tourer, electric lift tailgate, in warm weather off key fob - tailgate works perfectly ! in cold weather opens up  fine off key fob button - raises to fully open, beeps then closes again ???? I gather from this that the lifting mechanics/hydraulics are fine - I have seen on the "lings honda" website there is listed a "ambient sensor" I presume this is some kind of temperature sensor ? which is mounted above the roof lining near the rear roof of the car according to the parts list -  it has been like this for around 2 years or so - its about time I got round to fixing it !! Warm weather = perfect -- Cold weather = Faulty !!

Any help or advice very much appreciated ! Thanks in advance

jimbojim

I suppose it is to avoid damage in colder weather but not sure how it works to do this....ambient temperature sensor readings....and why?

Sorry, doesn't help much in resolving your issue but got me wondering and will see if I can find out further info

• 7 months later...

update !! Still got the problem. Cold weather opens, beeps, then closes again.  Warm weather opens as it should = perfect ! also closes off key or button as it should.

Any advise out there please, its driving me potty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I am going to replace the hydraulic struts as I have been informed that this is most probably the cause - Can anyone advise how to remove the rear roof lining to get to the struts ? I have looked on youtube but can find nothing re :- the Tourer and I don`t want to just start taking it apart without getting some kind of idea ! 

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Follow up - the struts are not the problem - had AA round couple of weeks ago to replace/change the passenger airbag inflator unit (recall from Honda) showed the chap - he recons its a sensor somewhere - he opened it of the fob, it raised to top then beeped and then began to close again - he pushed the button on the tailgate itself as it began to close and the tailgate stopped and stayed there fully open - proving that the motor, wiring and struts are working as they should and pointing to a sensor somewhere as he said - problem is nobody seems to know - including Honda, which to be honest does not surprise me as all they want to do is either charge a fortune and tell you they don`t know and then try to sell you another car - NO faith in Honda and there dealerships !

ANY HELP or ideas welcome, apart from that the car is as near perfect as you can get !   

• Confused 1