2010 crv braking problems

Sparkpea

Hi I’m having issues with the brakes on my 2010 crv, hoping someone might be able to shed some light as to what to look at.

When braking the pedal goes straight to the board with little or no resistance, it slowly brakes. If I pump the brake in preparation to brake then I get resistance and it brakes sooner.

Brake pipes have been checked for leaks, fluid is ok, mechanic isn’t sure what to try next, he’s thinking master cylinder on the servo or abs pump so I’m trying to help him do a bit of research to see if either have any particular problems or if it’s possibly something else.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

All help and advice appreciated thanks

On 12/4/2021 at 10:46 AM, Sparkpea said:

Hi I’m having issues with the brakes on my 2010 crv, hoping someone might be able to shed some light as to what to look at.

When braking the pedal goes straight to the board with little or no resistance, it slowly brakes. If I pump the brake in preparation to brake then I get resistance and it brakes sooner.

Brake pipes have been checked for leaks, fluid is ok, mechanic isn’t sure what to try next, he’s thinking master cylinder on the servo or abs pump so I’m trying to help him do a bit of research to see if either have any particular problems or if it’s possibly something else.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

All help and advice appreciated thanks

Surely if you can pump the brakes it suggests there's air in the system? I've even seen caliper seals puffed up like small balloons, just holding the fluid. Is the mechanic someone you trust?

• Like 1

Hi Sparkpea .....welcome to the club.

Pee Gee is correct in what he is suggesting and also  consider looking at weak rubber brake hoses which can also balloon out and lose hydraulic pressure.

A very careful examination of the entire braking system is required and quite frankly for a 2010 CR-V I would be surprised if there is much else majorly wrong with it apart from simple maintenance items that have been overlooked during a service, etc.

Other things to check would be the master cylinder losing pressure between the two internal seals.....would not lose fluid externally but pressure goes past the primary and secondary seals and gives these symptoms.

More basic things to check would be the calipers and hoses, brake load sensing valve is not seized (if applicable), brake pads are not seized in the carrier and therefore not able to retract and return therefore requiring extra presses of the brake pedal to encourage the braking pressure to be present.

Let us know what you find to be the issue.

• Like 1