2.0 Petrol Engine Tapping Noise from back of engine

leepox

Can anyone identify the noise? It almost sounds like injectors but the tapping/ticking noise seems to be too loud? Is this normal?

Only thing I can think of is maybe I'm due a valve adjustment?

The valve train and injector noise sounds perfectly normal to me, you would definitely hear a more audible noise if it required a valve adjustment. The Honda R20A should have clearances checked approximately every 30,000 but in most cases 100,000 miles is acceptable.👍

Thanks for replying that's great to hear!, engine is idling fine and all throughout the rev range (just went on a good blast)... if I get the chance to view a similar engine car and listen to the noise in comparison I think that would put me at ease.

Mine's already done 100k miles but has no service history so don't know if the valves have been adjusted at all. I'll probably do it as a DIY project this summer. 

Edited by leepox

9 hours ago, leepox said:

Mine's already done 100k miles but has no service history so don't know if the valves have been adjusted at all. I'll probably do it as a DIY project this summer. 

I have been working on Honda's for almost 20 years and your engine sounds perfectly fine, so I would say it has been looked after to a point. Also, a valve adjustment isn't as easy as it might look as you need to rotate the engine a few times on each valve to get the best average clearance within spec as it will change following any wear on the cam. 👉

Happy Motoring 

14 hours ago, hughezee said:

I have been working on Honda's for almost 20 years and your engine sounds perfectly fine, so I would say it has been looked after to a point. Also, a valve adjustment isn't as easy as it might look as you need to rotate the engine a few times on each valve to get the best average clearance within spec as it will change following any wear on the cam. 👉

Happy Motoring 

Thanks a lot buddy, in that case I won't need to go find another similar engine. Happy that an expert can confirm! I did a complete service - oil+filter, air filter, Denso spark plugs, drive belt, cabin filter, brake fluid flush, clutch fluid flush, new clutch kit repaired the undertray and put new chimney u nuts and bolts, new calipers/rotors/pads on the rears (similar fate as my MK7 accord's seized rear caliper pistons), and an alignment (the camber on the LH rear is off by 1 degree so will see if it does anything much to tyre wear and decide whether to buy a camber kit, so far tracking is good). To be fair the car only had one previous owner who did all the servicing himself but never logged them.

A little side question: My only outstanding item on my list is the gearbox fluid which I have yet to figure out where the drain bolt and the fill bolt is.. do you happen to know if there's an image that can point those two out? (And I'd like to think it just needs the bog standard Honda MTF?)

Agreed, I will probably need a whole weekend to just take my time doing the valve check. I've done it for two of my previous motorcycles so I'm hoping it's not going to be too much more onerous!

Edited by leepox

1 hour ago, leepox said:

A little side question: My only outstanding item on my list is the gearbox fluid which I have yet to figure out where the drain bolt and the fill bolt is.. do you happen to know if there's an image that can point those two out? (And I'd like to think it just needs the bog standard Honda MTF?)

I will try and dig out an image for you but for reference the drain and fill bolt are located at the rear of the transmission above and below on the outer side of the differential. Basically, where the drive shaft CV joint connects to the gearbox you should spot them easily, loosen the top 17mm bolt first and with a 3/8 insert you can crack open the drain bolt. You will need approx 2L of fluid but get 3L just in case. If the transmission fluid hasn't been done before I would suggest a better fluid than the Honda MTF-3 p/n: 0826799902HE, The Castrol Transmax Manual Multivehicle 75W-90 fluid would be my choice with the higher miles.😏 

Edited by hughezee
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, hughezee said:

I will try and dig out an image for you but for reference the drain and fill bolt are located at the rear of the transmission above and below on the outer side of the differential. Basically, where the drive shaft CV joint connects to the gearbox you should spot them easily, loosen the top 17mm bolt first and with a 3/8 insert you can crack open the drain bolt. You will need approx 2L of fluid but get 3L just in case. If the transmission fluid hasn't been done before I would suggest a better fluid than the Honda MTF-3 p/n: 0826799902HE, The Castrol Transmax Manual Multivehicle 75W-90 fluid would be my choice with the higher miles.😏 

Ah many thanks! I saw that 3/8 insert and was wondering what it was. In that case I think I have got a good idea. I shall take up your advice and grab the Transmax gearbox fluid! Thanks again for all the advice/help you have provided. Hopefully I'll make this car last to 200k miles 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 year later...