Hello! + quick question..

NiallN22

Hi all,

First time Honda owner here, recently bought an FK3 Civic 2.2ctdi.  Just saying hi, as you do!  🙂 Although I am new to Honda myself, I am quite familiar with the brand (Family members have owned various CRV/Shuttle/Odysey models for the past 25 years, and I did once own the Rover/Honda 620si). I have previously owned various BMWs (still have an E39) so the civic is my new practical run about and the E39 is going to be my summer car.

Just one quick question about the Civic - I have noticed that the temp guage doesn't appear to reach the middle of the guage - it sits slightly below, even after 1hr+ of driving (see pic)  Is this normal or does it mean the thermostat is shot?

Cheers in advance, have a great weekend all

IMG_3776.jpg

Edited by NiallN22

Hi, welcome to the Club

Great choice for a winter car, I also have a BMW (Z3) as a summer car as well.

I would say that this is quite normal as the diesel engine is quite a large unit for the Civic and just doesn't get as hot as a petrol equivalent.

I wouldn't worry too much about it and at least its not the opposite end of the spectrum and showing too hot

Hi.   Sorry I should have mentioned, it's not just the guage - the heater its self doesn't seem right - Even on full heat the air coming out is tepid at best and does little to warm the car.  

I've also noticed the radiator fans seem to be blowing most of the time even when it's freezing cold and the engine has just started up, that doesn't seem right either.. Might these things be connected?   I have run various diesels over the years so I'm used to the slow warmup but there is definitely something not quite right here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The AC was set to Auto mode, I have since turned it to "AC-Off" mode and that has stopped the rad fans running (the AC its self doesn't seem to work).

The heater its self remains pretty useless. I have it on max all the time but the air temp is never more than tepid.  Not ideal in these conditions! 🤨

The coolant level is correct and I have confirmation from a garage that the engine is getting up to temp from a diagnostic check (78 degrees apparently) and both hoses to the heater core are getting warm.   This is really stumping me.   Thinking I might sell the car tbh as I can't be doing with freezing my nuts off all winter! lol