Crabbing when parking.

DaveB

Hi guys. Dont like to ask for help when I've only just joined but I've just purchased a 2008 CRV 2.2 CDTI with 93,000 miles but I've got an issue when parking. When I turn to park in a parking space for example , the steering seems to judder and the front end almost feels like it's under steering. Seems to happen whether I'm turning left or right. Driving and turning at normal speeds is totally fine. I took it back to the garage I bought it from and they did the tracking and said it was sorted , but it hasn't sorted it. 

Anyone had this issue or any ideas what it could be? 

Cheers guys n gals. 

Good afternoon Dave, it seams to me to be the power steering pump may be not working as well as it should, like you say when driving normally the steering is fine. That's because the pump is working at higher speeds and pushes the steering fluid around at higher pressure, when the engine is close to idle the pump is less speed and a good pump will still be at high pressure, a poor pump the seals which will be worn can make the pump loose pressure at lower speeds. Try and move the steering wheel when the car is at a standstill in neutral increase the speed of the engine and rotate the steering wheel to the left and to the right if the problem disappears then i would say its the steering pump. plus rotating the steering fully either side there could be the possibility of an air lock in the system  and by doing this will clear the air lock. 

If you have air getting into the system then check for leaks around the pump and joiners.

i hope i have explained this well for you and i hope you get to the bottom of it.

Cheers, Steve  

4 hours ago, DaveB said:

Thats my thinking and probably my next port of call. 

Is this something that main dealers tend to ignore when doing services? 

Yes dealers will ignore this and leave it up to the owner to request it. Does your CRV have electric or hydraulic power steering? Ours (2011) is electric.