Fuel problem

Ed G

Hi, how are you? Hope someone can help me with this problem.

I've  2007 HONDA JAZZ SE I-DS 1339cc manual. Problem started this morning. Car starts as usual, end of my road seems like running out of petrol, but there's heaps. Engine dies. Wait a moment starts try to move off dies. Repeat about half a dozen times, same. Pushed back to my house.

Same thing, wait a while engine starts easily, runs 10-20 seconds dies. Under the bonnet I could hear a high pitch wine, followed by a click as if a valve is opened/closed. Facing the car I think I can hear a slight continous clicking noise down the left hand side.

With not much technical know how of this car I'm suspecting the fuel pump is working, as I do get fuel up to the engine to start, but maybe something is shutting it down hence the engine keeps stopping? I have not got one of those code readers so I can only work on what I can see.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it please? I've had the car about 8 years and it has done 160K miles, but never had any problems with it.

all suggestions welcome, cheers!

Ed
Modify message

Hi, an update.

I borrowed an OBD2 reader, and it showed no codes. so I am guessing that has ruled out the fuel pump relay?

Still same, I had done the open fuel cap and even left it off, but still the same. Turn ignition on can hear the pump fill up then stops. Turn engine over runs for 0 seconds dies, can repeat as often as I like.

Don't think it's the inertia switch, as car ran ok till I parked it up at night and trouble when I started car in the morning.

If can't think of any other things to check/try guess I'll have to take the fuel pump out. Bit concerned if I will be able to rig up some home made put removal tool to get it out the tank! (and put it back in securely to stop leaks)