Key won’t turn

LesW

Hi guys (and gals). A familiar tale that I suspect has had many posts. My wife’s much loved battered 2003 run around, bought for £1,000, a veteran of numerous trips to the dump and the only car I will park in a supermarket car park had I think made its last journey. Currently sat on the drive (fortunately) but the key will not turn in the ignition. Prevailing view from local garage and RAC is the lock is buggered and quote for a new lock and assembly is £1,000.

I did actually, with a squirt of WD40 get the key to turn and fired up the car. Proudly told my wife that I still had the skills but next morning same problem and this time even WD40 wouldn’t  fix it. I have also compounded the problem because I was trying to take the weight off the steering wheel, I over rotated it and click, wheel lock engaged (wheels are still parallel though).  The key goes in and out of the ignition ok and operates the door locks fine.

So before it makes its final journey I wondered if anyone had any great ideas. We will never sell it so fitting a second switch or hot wiring it are all options

Regards

Les

I would be tempted to fit a secondhand lock and key but will require two keys to be used for the vehicle
Otherwise would be a shame to get shot of it for a simple (and low cost) repair