Are law enforcement cameras an invasion of privacy?

Steve

• 1 month later...

• 9 years later...

I think that speed enforcement cameras can be distracting. Drivers tend to concentrate more on the speedo than they do on the road ahead as they don't want to get caught speeding. Driving abroad where there aren't so many cameras is far more relaxing - and I still don't go blasting around the place just because there are no cameras. I drive to the road and the conditions

I'd be much happier if motorway speed limits were increased though, and less of those not-so-smart motorway camera zones. I've been in the control centres for those, and it's all very interesting, but so frustrating when traffic appears to be very light and the signs show 40mph with cameras active due to congestion!!!!!

Cameras in 30mph areas are certainly a very good safety tool - as long as drivers still remember to watch the road

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2011 at 10:13 AM, Steve said:

Do you folks think law enforcement cameras are an invasion of privacy?

Could say the same for dashcam videos we see all the time on YouTube.

But I don't think you can have any expectation of privacy while you're in a public place, can you? Everybody's got a camera phone, so if you do something silly you're gonna be internet famous anyway 😄

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 11:41 PM, ToddBonzalez said:

Could say the same for dashcam videos we see all the time on YouTube.

But I don't think you can have any expectation of privacy while you're in a public place, can you? Everybody's got a camera phone, so if you do something silly you're gonna be internet famous anyway 😄

That's very true!  there are cameras everywhere nowadays so no avoiding them

• 2 months later...

depends, do you have facebook? instagram? linkedin? do you have a smartphone that constantly broadcasts your location? do you use amazon or ebay?

there's no such thing a privacy, everything about you, everything you have ever said or typed online is out there, all those late night google searches...... you know the ones. all stored. 

the information the government and large tech firms have on you make it so they know you better than you know yourself.

you ever been having a conversation with a friend or loved one, then you open up facebook, and there's an advert for the topic you were just talking about!

how do you think that happens? your phone is listening to you, your smart tv is watching you. your laptop, yep thats watching you to.

privacy is dead

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

very true!

Sometimes it is not an issue such as location which is used in maps and nearest stores, etc.

I personally select cookies and such like to avoid being bombarded with emails, etc but otherwise it is a necessary evil in todays modern world I guess