Alarm won't stop going off, plus some other questions - 2001 VTEC Sport

jayn5

Hi all.

Long story short. I took on this abandoned VTEC sport as a project, it hadn't moved in about 6-7 years. When I spoke to the previous owner they stated it had no keys or fob (apparently lost throughout the years). Thought ''no problem!'', bought the car, logbook issued, once it came through the mail I got it trailered home.

So I get a locksmith out, he cut a key, programmed it, it was (apparently) recognized by the car, but then he tried to program a fob, and he didn't have any luck with the fob. He stated get an OEM fob and program it myself and it should disable the honking alarm. Fast forward until a few days ago, I did the who sha-bang of getting the car into programming mode, heard the locks cycle, click lock/unlock with the fob, locks respond, take key out ignition, nothing. The fob isn't remembered and the alarm is still blaring. Was told all doors must be closed, so shut the bonnet, boot, and doors, made sure no door lights were on, all the doors were unlocked by hand, try again, same story. 

Now frankly it could be something I'm doing wrong here, but the car refuses to turn the alarm off. I'm getting to my wits end with it as I've been told it could be the fob, the key, the keyless entry unit, the ECU, or something I'm doing wrong, it could be damn well anything.

Is this something I'd need to trailer it to the dealership for? Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the ECU/keyless entry/fob/key all needed flashed and re-programmed, but I'm hoping it's not that case as I've been quoted silly figures to get this done. I also feel like it may not be programming the fob as the security system/alarm is going off when I try to. Could this be affecting it? I've replaced an ignition system and door locks in my '93 corolla (pictured) after it had an attempted theft, and I've never seen this kind of two stage alarm before, and frankly I'm stumped. Any help at all is appreciated.

On the other hand, the car has many, many problems currently, all which are getting worked through. It had been dumped because of a failed ball joint which in turn pulled the passenger driveshaft out. I replaced both a few days ago with no problems. But some of the bigger issues are: it had the cat stolen while it was parked up. The local scrappy had an OEM one but quoted me £1.5k to buy it from them!!! It is a euro 3 status, was wondering if buying a universal fit euro 3 sports cat would get it through emissions? Local garage says they'd be happy to weld one on for me so long as I source it. What diameter is the exhaust, and any recommendations for universal cats for it? 

The windscreen is also leaking, looks like it's coming from the top of the window, and then dripping down onto the dash. Is this a common problem? Is it worth just claiming a new windscreen? Or is it just a case of popping a bit of a sealant on it? Claimed a windscreen on said corolla before with no issues, but would rather fix than replace where possible.

It blew the RL brake line when the brakes were held to crack the axle nut while replacing the driveshaft. It's blown a small hole in the brake line in the engine bay, just a little bit up from the ABS module. Is it possible to buy full brake lines from Honda still? I'm sure the local garage may be able to patch it, but just due to the overall corrosion of the brake line it could do with being replaced. 

Already checked the car over for a rotten bulkhead, and checked all the usual places, chassis is solid but a little crusty, as to be expected from a 22yr old car. 

These are all the biggest issues for it right now. The engine/waterpump/alternator crank freely by hand, and has even tried to start (just didn't have enough power from the poor 1.3 corolla's battery!) to get it to start on its own. It would be a real shame to see it scrapped over something as tiny as not having the original keys anymore. 

Car spec:

2001 VTEC Sport

1.8L F18B2 engine. 5 speed manual. 101k on the clock. 

No aftermarket security on it.

Not sure of trim levels on these, but it has A/C, cruise control, electric mirrors/windows, cloth seats. 

It does mention an ultrasonic sensor for the alarm in the ESM for UK/European models, but unsure if this has one.

Thanks all.

jhdtyjry6j5rj.thumb.jpg.8826c02c0f687e6f1ea5f4cf31b44e0b.jpg