Charging an e:Ny1

JohnK

Before buying our e:Ny1 we were reading up on charging electric cars in a manner that looks after the battery. We had the  impression that maybe 80% is a good maximum charge as the more the charge towards 100% the more heat is created and heat can reduce the longevity of your battery. I wrote to Honda about this and did not get a clear reply. Maybe I worded my enquiry in a manner that confused them. When I charge it is mainly from home on a

7 KWh charger. For simplicity I would like to have the confidence to plug it in and let it charge to 100% whenever possible. Does anyone out there have any good advice for me please

• 3 months later...
On 2/29/2024 at 3:44 PM, JohnK said:

Before buying our e:Ny1 we were reading up on charging electric cars in a manner that looks after the battery. We had the  impression that maybe 80% is a good maximum charge as the more the charge towards 100% the more heat is created and heat can reduce the longevity of your battery. I wrote to Honda about this and did not get a clear reply. Maybe I worded my enquiry in a manner that confused them. When I charge it is mainly from home on a

7 KWh charger. For simplicity I would like to have the confidence to plug it in and let it charge to 100% whenever possible. Does anyone out there have any good advice for me please

Hi

I'm picking up my e:Ny1 next Saturday (fingers crossed lol)  I'm an engineer by trade and have spent a bit of time looking into all this. Firstly, yes you should avoid continuously charging to 100%. However, you cannot actually use 100% of the battery and the 'stated 100%' you can charge up to is something like 95% of the real battery size. For normal use, I would suggest charging to 80%, but if you have any long drives or periods when you will be doing bigger mileages, I would not hesitate to charge to 100%. The real issue is leaving the car fully charged (or at least much over 80%) for days and days unused and doing this often. That's really a recipe to cause premature degradation of the battery. But as I said, for normal use, I would say charge to 80% but if you need to, don't be afraid to charge to 100% if you need to and you will be using it within 24hrs or less. I hope this helps

Edited by lurch9494
speeeeling mishtake :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I’ve just ordered a new eny1 for delivery in September and as a novice to electric cars I’m looking for some advice.

1. Does the eny1 come with one or two charging cables.

2. The home charger Iam considering buying says that it’s untethered and doesn’t come with a cable. Does this mean that I can use the cable that comes with the car for home charging or do I need to buy a cable for the charger?

3. Any additional advice for a technophobe like me would be greatly appreciated.

3 hours ago, Cav65 said:

Hi, I’ve just ordered a new eny1 for delivery in September and as a novice to electric cars I’m looking for some advice.

1. Does the eny1 come with one or two charging cables.

2. The home charger Iam considering buying says that it’s untethered and doesn’t come with a cable. Does this mean that I can use the cable that comes with the car for home charging or do I need to buy a cable for the charger?

3. Any additional advice for a technophobe like me would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

Yes, it comes with a cable you can use with your home charger, plus a 'Granny charger' cable (240v 3 pin plug type charger) I have had my e:Ny1 for 5 days now and love it! If you are mostly home charging you will be amazed how cheap to run it will be! Performance is very good for a family SUV and overtaking is a breeze. Build quality is excellent also, as well as comfort etc. I can easily get 4 miles per Kw and with my cheap rate home charging overnight this equates to around 2p a mile or £2 per 100 miles!! Im no expert, but shout out if you want any more info and I will help if I can 😉

22 hours ago, lurch9494 said:

Hi

Yes, it comes with a cable you can use with your home charger, plus a 'Granny charger' cable (240v 3 pin plug type charger) I have had my e:Ny1 for 5 days now and love it! If you are mostly home charging you will be amazed how cheap to run it will be! Performance is very good for a family SUV and overtaking is a breeze. Build quality is excellent also, as well as comfort etc. I can easily get 4 miles per Kw and with my cheap rate home charging overnight this equates to around 2p a mile or £2 per 100 miles!! Im no expert, but shout out if you want any more info and I will help if I can 😉

Thanks for the reply….im currently looking at chargers and I think I understand the pros and cons of tethered and untethered terminals. Which version did you go for ? Any advice re manufacturers and is it better to go with my electricity provider to supply and fit.

1 hour ago, Cav65 said:

Thanks for the reply….im currently looking at chargers and I think I understand the pros and cons of tethered and untethered terminals. Which version did you go for ? Any advice re manufacturers and is it better to go with my electricity provider to supply and fit.

I went untethered, simply as if a cable was damaged either physically or say by water ingress it was a simple case of just get a new cable and plug it in, Omhe was the unit I had fitted, good price and a high spec. I was with British Gas and they offered me a decent Cheap rate overnight charging deal 'electric driver V8' I think its called. I could find others that were marginally cheaper, but it was such a small difference, I stayed with BG just as it was easy lol 🙂

Edited by lurch9494
speeeeling mishtake :)

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2024 at 6:00 PM, lurch9494 said:

I went untethered, simply as if a cable was damaged either physically or say by water ingress it was a simple case of just get a new cable and plug it in, Omhe was the unit I had fitted, good price and a high spec. I was with British Gas and they offered me a decent Cheap rate overnight charging deal 'electric driver V8' I think its called. I could find others that were marginally cheaper, but it was such a small difference, I stayed with BG just as it was easy lol 🙂

EDF do a good deal for overnight charging from midnight to 05:00 varies between 07p and 11p per kwh.

On 2/29/2024 at 3:44 PM, JohnK said:

Current car is a Fiat 500e. (Eny1 on order). We have had the Fiat for 3 years now and charge regularly goes to 100%, A battery genius informed me the manufacturer would put a halt on charge levels if it was bad to charge to 100%, it just takes longer to find room for all those little charge particles the more full the cells become. Nothing has changed since day one of ownership.

Hi there 

Ah the problems of new(ish) technology!

I have only just managed to buy a 2005 CR-V for a very small price, and am in awe at the standard and variety of 'extras' that came with the car back in 2005.

Furthermore this car is in remarkable condition and just needs a general wipe over and an oil and filter change.

So it was an interesting conversation that I had with a dog walking friend who told me about a conversation he had with someone in the trade. This may make you smile, or maybe not!

Those awfully nice people at Toyota, the ones that have been working so hard on the tantalising idea of the Hydrogen fuel cell car, have come up with another amazing development.

A car with a driving range of over 900 miles on one charge of about an hour!

But not only that, but the batteries are basically.... Sand! Virtually impossible to catch fire, they have developed the battery with a sand like substance that stores, and passes current.

Now watch THAT space!