Starter motor and clutch question

Hi everyone, would be grateful for some opinions.

I have just purchased a 2009 1.8 manual Civic with around 90,000 miles on it and a mostly full service history.

I have had similar aged mazda and fords in the past where I have had the starter motors fail at this age. I can not be left stranded out and about, so I have contacted Honda and asked them how long the starter motors were designed or expected to last. They were unable to answer (even their head office in Japan). Does anyone have any anecdotal experience? Obviously, there is a huge amount of variables and no guarantees. But how long do these tend to last? Do they start failing after i.e. 15 years 100,000 miles?

Then a question about the clutch. This is my first civic, but the clutch seems too snappy and sharp. Nothing happens until the clutch is let out a long way and then the car just snaps in to gear. Sometimes getting in to second can be almost grinding. I have heard some people say on forums this is normal, but is it?

Many thanks

Hi,I had a new clutch in my 2007 Hatch.

You are right,it is very snappy and sometimes difficult to get in 1st gear unless I press the pedal to the floor.

With your comment this could BE normal.

Everything you say is true.

Happy motoring.