The CR-V wobble

KevAmiga

So the saga continues, have had problems since day 1 with wobble from my CR-V.

2007, MK2, 2.0 Petrol, Manual.

When i got it, at 50 mph the side to side wobble in the car was pretty bad.

Had the wheels balanced - no change

Changed the drivers side drive shaft - seemed to fix the problem, except a slight wobble at 20mph.

Drove to france towing a caravan, something let go bad, the wobble got super bad.

Ordered a 2nd hand drive shaft and intermediate shaft from eBay - wobble mostly gone, except at 55mph again it would do it

Ordered an Intermediate shaft from AUTODOC, went to fit it last night... total garbage. 

So, whilst in the garage I remembered, I had ordered a bearing for the intermediate shaft from Honda direct when I first got the car, so i took the Honda intermediate shaft I had from eBay, and pressed out the bearing, pressed in a new one. Also changed the outer shaft for the J&R shaft i got... and took her for a drive.

99% of the wobble has gone. Which is a step in the right direction. But what I have noticed, is the wobble is worse when the car is turning.

Im thinking my next step now, is to do a diff fluid change, maybe the diff clutches are grabbing a little when the car's rear wheels are at differing speeds (ie, turning on the motorway).

Anyone else got any thoughts? 

I chased a similar problem on a Vauxhall Vectra sri estate. Replaced suspension parts, drive shafts, bearings, discs and callipers.  After spending a small fortune, a tyre fitter noticed that there were two buckled alloy wheels, nearside front and rear, the front being the worst. Bought 2 new alloys, fitted and the vibration issue was solved.

Might be worth a look?

Hope you get it sorted.