Mk 7 5 door hatch 1.6 exec. Car Radio- code E?

stellac

Have just had a new steering rack fitted.-  won't go there!  awful

The  car radio was okay  and working when the car went in to the gge for a new steering rack . As always, they never reset the radio with date & time etc.. It's now showing Code E - it won't accept the 5 digit code . I've checked the manual- there's nothing in there. about code E   I can't set the time either. 

I've always managed to reset the time and get the radio going before, but have never seen code E... Anyone overcome this problem.

p.s. steering rack change is awful... feels like driving a bus!.  Honda parts no longer available, they fitted starlite/ starlight  rack as the only one which would fit- allegedly!

Can anyone help? 

That doesn't sound good about the rack being heavy to use, but as long as it is driveable and safe then so be it

not sure about why the radio is giving an E code but chances are it stands for Error and maybe worth resetting the battery to see if it clears.....if the garage cleared the memory then I would ask them to reset the radio and clock