FRV not selecting gears (2006 diesel)

Hello

2006 Honda FRV with 120k miles on the clock.

Reasonably recently had starter motor replaced and gearbox oil changed by local mechanic.

Was driving fine. Some issues occasionally with clutch pedal - would press down and it wouldn't engage clutch so would have to come back up and press down again and then it would be fine. But pretty occasionally.

Car used for towing a small caravan.

Whilst towing gear selection failed entirely. With engine off, you can press clutch pedal and engage gears. With engine on you can press clutch pedal down but cannot engage any gears and if you try 2nd it makes a horrid grinding noise. 

I'm trying to get a mechanic to take a look, but is there any wisdom from the description of symptoms?? Thanks

I think what you have said here "Some issues occasionally with clutch pedal - would press down and it wouldn't engage clutch so would have to come back up and press down again" is your clue.

Sounds to me like either your Master, Slave or concentric bearing was failing, and has now gone altogether (I assume you have a Hydraulic clutch) ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KevAmiga said:

I think what you have said here "Some issues occasionally with clutch pedal - would press down and it wouldn't engage clutch so would have to come back up and press down again" is your clue.

Sounds to me like either your Master, Slave or concentric bearing was failing, and has now gone altogether (I assume you have a Hydraulic clutch) ?

Thanks Kev, that's helpful and would make sense. I assume hydraulic also unless told otherwise. 

Would this explain the grinding in 2nd ? (and only 2nd)b

I guess my main question is going to be the likely involvement /cost required to repair, for an 18 year old car with it's MOT due in 6 weeks I'm obviously weighing up what's worth fixing and what's not. The car absolutely otherwise suits all our needs, and I definitely don't mind chucking some cash at it but obviously there's a limit, and if I buy another car I'm only going to go and buy something else old and Japanese again....

Would replacement of one of the bearings be a job which also made it likely to need to replace (or worth replacing) the clutch, DMF or other parts also? If so any guesses as the sort of cost I'd likely be looking at would be very appreciated - thank you.

Obviously I appreciate only so much you can say in a forum and I really need a mechanic to look at this, but any wisdom is very appreciated! 

Is it petrol or Diesel? Im not really clued up with your car, but a clutch generally comes as a kit.

Clutch, pressure plate and cylinder is the general kit.

If its DMF, then that might be the deal braker. Again, I dont know the car so, not sure. Petrol engines generally dont have DMF, especially of that age.

Id ignore the grinding in second if you cant engage any gears when the engine is running, then the clutch is 100% the first place to start looking. 

Hopefully its the master cylinder... that way its the easiest fix of the clutch system. Has it lost fluid? Any wet patches under the car when its parked?

• Thanks 1

Oh, one thing I would try if it was mine (excercise caution here!!!!) if you put it in first with the engine OFF then hold foot on the clutch, start the car. Does it go forward? Obviously get ready to turn it off / slam brakes on / stall it, whatever, but that would really point towards a clutch issue. Although to be honest I dont think you need to do this bit...

1 minute ago, KevAmiga said:

Is it petrol or Diesel? Im not really clued up with your car, but a clutch generally comes as a kit.

Clutch, pressure plate and cylinder is the general kit.

If its DMF, then that might be the deal braker. Again, I dont know the car so, not sure. Petrol engines generally dont have DMF, especially of that age.

Id ignore the grinding in second if you cant engage any gears when the engine is running, then the clutch is 100% the first place to start looking. 

Hopefully its the master cylinder... that way its the easiest fix of the clutch system. Has it lost fluid? Any wet patches under the car when its parked?

It's a diesel.

Parked on gravel unfortunately so hard to tell. But I did have the gear oil changed 3 months ago when it was serviced (it had the intermittent gear selection problem before that)

The DMF seems to be £400ish and the clutch kit £150ish IIRC. 

Again thank you so much for the advice. 

7 minutes ago, KevAmiga said:

Oh, one thing I would try if it was mine (excercise caution here!!!!) if you put it in first with the engine OFF then hold foot on the clutch, start the car. Does it go forward? Obviously get ready to turn it off / slam brakes on / stall it, whatever, but that would really point towards a clutch issue. Although to be honest I dont think you need to do this bit...

OK - that's helpful!! Thanks!! I'll see if I'm brave enough depending on how quickly I hear back from either of the two mobile mehanics I've contacted!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Ok, so it's the clutch that needs replacing. 

I have a reasonable quote -approx £700 - to replace the clutch from local mobile mechanic. 

Its it worth getting DMF done at the same time? Approx £400 for the part.

Is there anything else that you'd get changed whilst they're doing the clutch? Thanks!