CR-V Judder

I picked up my first ever Honda two weeks ago - 2016 1.6 idtec EX. I have noticed that there is a clutch judder when pulling away or if moving slowly in traffic. My last 4 cars have been auto boxes so I first thought it may be my driving style but after a few days I got my son to try it and he too felt that the clutch didn’t feel right. 
I took it back to the dealer (main Honda franchise) who I bought it from and said I thought there was an issue with the clutch. They tested it and said there was a “slight” judder on clutch engagement but it was “within acceptable limits”. They also stated that it is typical for a CR-V due to the design of the clutch and DMF so consequently they could not help me further.

I am quite disappointed with the response and feel as if I have been fobbed off really but not technically minded enough to know for sure if what they say is correct. I know I have 30 days to reject the car if it is not fit for purpose but not sure what to do next. Any advice appreciated.

I would not say that there is 'an acceptable limit' of clutch judder.
Generally, a clutch should not judder in normal use.
Many years ago, a clutch was of heavier construction and also had torsion springs built into the driven plate to take up lateral movement on the clutch plate when the torque was being introduced through the clutch mechanism and the springs allowed for a smooth take-up.
Nowadays, the springs are deleted so the driven plate is solid and the torsional forces are taken up through the dual mass flywheel.

This is where the wear can take place (usually from short-shifting by a previous owner) and can lead to a judder. This will only get worse over time so I would at least insist they change the DMF and clutch at the same time before you reject the car.

Thanks for the reply Trevor, I think this is the path I will take. I really don’t want to have to reject the car as in every other respect I love it and don’t really want all the hassle of cancelling RFL, insurance, breakdown cover etc.

I will have another conversation with the dealer about replacing the clutch and DMF and see where it gets me.

• Like 1