new member....

PJB

Good morning all, I am a new member and unfamiliar with how this all works so please bear with me.

First question: I see that this is a UK club which is fine with me, however, I'd also like to find one a little closer to home in Savannah, GA/USA. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

So, my main reason for joining a Honda Owner's Club is to get advice on repairs and maintenance for my 2000 Accord SE. It has just over 166,000 miles.

I am currently in the process of getting two or three quotes since there is a fair amount of work that needs to be done.

I went to the local dealership yesterday and they quoted me $300 to $400 to bring it in and have the technician perform a thorough evaluation of what needs to be done.

While this was more than I thought it would cost, I am still considering taking it to the dealership for this evaluation to establish a "base-line" and then prioritize the work from there.

I'd appreciate any feedback and recommendations.

Many thanks! PJB

Hi PJB

Firstly welcome to the Honda Club, there are some good experienced Members on here who are usually able to help and assist you.

Ref your initial enquiry, I would advise getting an itemised list of all repairs for the work to be done by a qualified mechanic or Dealership and then you have a base to work on for getting the most competitive quotation for the work and always ensure you get in writing a guarantee for all work that's has been carried out on your car , It sounds straight forward advice, but surprising how many never pay attention to this.

Welcome again to the Club PJB and hope you manage to everything sorted 

Cheers and best wishes from the UK

BAZZER RN 1

Hi, in the UK the dealership would normally carry out the evaluation free ! unless I am missing something - what kind of work are we looking at ? I have never been charged for a quotation, but I am in UK perhaps it is different in USA Good luck 

Thank you Bazzer and Jimbo for the feedback. Your comments have reinforced my decision to take my car to the dealership for an evaluation. As you said, it will give me a baseline from which to start. 

So far, my list of repairs includes:

• front brakes
  • oil leak
  • dashboard controls not working
  • cruise control not working
  • ignition key port and key fob
  • alarm system

If I take it in on a Wednesday, I'll receive a 10% discount. So I'll be taking it in on December 13th.

Thanks again.

Your very welcome PJB , I hope you get it sorted, let us know how you get on, I dont think you should be charged for a mechanic to investigate any problems, I have never been charged for that in the UK, Once they find out what the problems are they can then provide a quote to supply the parts and repair the faults for you.

Hope it all works out my Friend

Hi, ask the dealership to take off the" diagnostic " charge if you have them carry out the work - that seems fairer to me - diagnostic fee $100  quotation $300 you pay $200, it may give them an incentive for a realistic quote and give you an incentive to let them do the work !

Hope this helps

Just a quick thought - what would it cost to buy a replacement car ? from the list you have given it seems like it is going to be quite expensive ! I do not know what it would cost in US but you could buy a decent 2000 Accord in UK and it would suggest it may cost less than all the repairs you have listed ! Have a look on craig`s list and see what you can find before making your decision, got to be worth a look at least ! You might find a higher spec and a newer model with less miles.

Good luck and keep us informed.