Remote control not working after battery change

ec5780

My remote control was becoming slower and slower to respond, and it got to the point where I had to press it multiple times for it to open/lock the car.

I changed the battery, and at the time I remember having some trouble getting it to work. Initially it refused to work and then after pressing the buttons a few times it started to work. This was in early August.

Then last week I went out; when I unlocked the car it worked perfectly but when I came to lock the car the remote control was completely dead. No gradual degradation like I had last time, and the battery was changed only a couple of months ago. I was able to lock the car with the key, but when I unlocked the car it set the alarm off!

I suspect the battery is bad, but it's strange that it failed so suddenly, and so soon, as opposed to the previous battery which wore out gradually over a much longer period of time.

Any thoughts? (And is there any other way to turn off the alarm if the remote control isn't working?)