Sign in to follow this  
lemonstar

Civic Tourer 65 and towing a caravan?

We only bought the car a few months ago and weren't thinking about buying a caravan at the time but after a week away in a VW T6 campervan we decided to look into a small caravan. We went to the Campervan and Caravan exhibition at the NEC this week and decided the Swift Basecamp Plus is exactly what we want.  I searched for info on the Tourer pulling a caravan and found very little bar one not -so -positive review. Is there anyone here with a Tourer who has any experience towering a caravan? I don't want to change the car - we think it's a beatiful car for long journeys (we drove to the Netherlands and back recently)  even though I'm not completely won over with 6 gears when driving over the Pennines from Stoke to Sheffield  - too many gear changes required!

Hi....welcome to the Forum

Not got any experience of towing with a Civic Tourer but would recommend a remap to enhance the torque and flexibility of the engine / gears.

Very little cost and would transform the drive especially when towing and would make the gears slightly longer between changes.

I used a Tuning Box on my CR-V and it made a tremendous difference to the drive and economy.

Let us know how you get on with towing with the Civic

It's a bold idea - I don't know if I dare do it as the car has a some kind of warrantee on it - 3yrs I think.

I do have a friend who had his Passat Estate remapped to 155BHP but he drives a lot in his work and some long distances to Scotland from the Midlands too - I've been with him -it's an awesome drive. I imagine it would make a big difference - I'll have to weigh that one up.

I've just asked Honda for a price on the towbar (including fitting & electrics) and it's astronomical - £789 fixed, £860 detachable! I want to ask here about the options - surely that price is completely unreasonable.

It does seems a little bit on the expensive side, worth trying an independent supplier/fitter who should be able to carry out the same job but a lot cheaper