Jump to content

Honda FR-V 2.2-iCTDi Thermostat change.


Ashley
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello, just joined forum, and recently bought FRV 2.2 diesel. I have noticed the engine takes an age to warm up, more so as the weather is getting colder.

I believe the thermostat is either stuck open or is missing completely. I have bought a new thermostat, but looking in the engine bay I cannot see the housing. I think it is under the EGR valve somewhere. Could I access the thermostat from underneath if I removed the plastic engine shield?

Any info greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



11 hours ago, Ashley said:

Hello, just joined forum, and recently bought FRV 2.2 diesel. I have noticed the engine takes an age to warm up, more so as the weather is getting colder.

I believe the thermostat is either stuck open or is missing completely. I have bought a new thermostat, but looking in the engine bay I cannot see the housing. I think it is under the EGR valve somewhere. Could I access the thermostat from underneath if I removed the plastic engine shield?

Any info greatly appreciated. Thank you.

How long does it take to warm the engine? I've got a 2.2 CR-V and it takes much longer to heat up than most cars that I've had. You should be able to feel if the thermostat is working by the difference in the main radiator hose temperatures.  Generally the lower hose will heat up first, followed by the top hose when the thermostat begins to open.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Pee Gee, thanks for the input. Example, I can drive to my daughters, 3 miles away, take her to the shops 2 miles away, sit in car waiting for her with engine idling for maybe 10 minutes before the needle on temp gauge starts to move. Even when the engine is warm, the needle 

 only shows around third of the way up on the gauge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Hi Pee Gee, thanks for the input. Example, I can drive to my daughters, 3 miles away, take her to the shops 2 miles away, sit in car waiting for her with engine idling for maybe 10 minutes before the needle on temp gauge starts to move. Even when the engine is warm, the needle 

 only shows around third of the way up on the gauge.

It certainly sounds like a duff thermostat. I've changed many thermostats over the years but as I'm new to Honda I'm not familiar with the location.  It seems that Honda hide them lower down than most making them harder to get to. Would you be able to follow the radiator hoses to find its location? One of them will lead to it.  In most cases it's the top one....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Hi, I believe its located on the lower hose between to the alternator and where the dip stick pipe goes into sump, thats why I was wondering if I could get to it from underneath. Thanks.

Looking at most videos with Hondas they do all seem to go at it from below.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just came back from local garage, Realised I know the mechanic well, he reckons I will have to take off the EGR valve to gain access, but said be careful as the bolts holding the EGR are prone to shear. He also said there is no space to access it from underneath. Hearing that, I have decided to let him do it. Thanks for your help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Just came back from local garage, Realised I know the mechanic well, he reckons I will have to take off the EGR valve to gain access, but said be careful as the bolts holding the EGR are prone to shear. He also said there is no space to access it from underneath. Hearing that, I have decided to let him do it. Thanks for your help.

What a great design! At least we learned something new. Maybe worth getting the EGR valve cleaned while its off?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

my 2007 2.2 ictdi also takes ages to warm up diesels always take longer to warm up than petrol, there is a lot of water to warm up with the size of the rad i think they are over cooled not had my CRV a year yet, if the top and bottom hoses feel roughly the same temp i dought its the Stat rather than spend money or Faf about this time of the year what i do with my other vehicle which is dare i say a Renault Espace 2.1 TD with 310,000 miles on the clock i put a piece of carboard between the electric fan and the rad covering the whole of the rad but leaving two holes cut out for the fans it soon warms up and i do the this every year before winter .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...