Oil consumption and top up recommendations

ec5780

Hello

Is there any guideline as to how much oil the engine is expected to use. Every time I check it (which isn't that often) the oil seems to be low.

And whilst we're talking about oil - what is the best oil to buy? When I put the registration in to various car parts stores they usually seem to recommend an oil that is designed for Ford engines.

Is it important to stick to the exact recommended API category (the handbook says) SJ or SL, or is it ok to use SN instead?

Besides the API specification, is there anything else that matters? The manual specifies 5W30 viscosity.

• 1 month later...

Hi! 

Any API category above SJ or SL is superior and you can use API SN without fear, it is better than hanbook recommendation.

Beside the OEM Honda engine oil, if you stick to 5w30 or 5w40 viscosity index, you have a lot of good oil brands at your disposal (Liqui Molly, Ravenol, Motul, Mobil1, Yacco, etc.). 

I know that some honda dealers are using Castrol engine oil in after warranty service, but I don't trust Castrol as in my country this is the most fake fabricated oil (I live in Roumania). 

As long as you keep a yearly oil change interval or max 10k km, you can use the cheapest oil which respects the handbook or is above those specs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1