Car Servicing

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

• 8 years later...

I wish people would do more servicing themselves. For example a minor service is simply an oil and oil filter change and a visual inspection of the other fluids, brake pads etc. Then for the major service just go off what's in the handbook...

This is how I've always done it, and when I'm unsure of how to do something I use google and YouTube...

You're absolutely right Charlie but if you consider that just 20-30 years ago, loads of people maintained their cars, from anything like a small service to inflating the tyres.
I don't see much evidence of any maintenance being carried out on the cars that I service that come in with partially flat tyres, low fluid levels and general lack of respect for the vehicle 😞

I remember my dad showing me around my first car, all the fluid levels and other bits and bobs...seems like these days you just wait for a warning lamp to come on...

Also what's with people that call out the AA or RAC to change a wheel?!

You're absolutely right.

Some countries teach vehicle maintenance as part of the curriculum and also include it as part of the driving test.

Unfortunately it is too easy to rely on a warning lamp and state that you don't have any knowledge and that exempts you from driving with no oil or bald tyres 😞