Starting problem.

AliStephen

I have a 2018 CRV SE+ 1.6 diesel. If I stall this car it is sometimes reluctant to start when warm. The engine turns over on the starter, there is some clattering but fails to fire  up. The other day I refueled the car when warm which took about 5 minutes and attempting to start it again I had the same problem. It took about 5 or 6 attempts to get it to fire up. The owners manual says if the engine fails to start to wait for 1 minute before trying again but 1 minute is a long time to wait if you stall at traffic lights etc.  Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Possible causes could be faulty crankshaft sensor but this would come up with a fault code in memory if scanned.
Otherwise the other potential fault is the fuel filter needs replacement (on the earlier ones you could tell if this was the case as the pump up rubber bulb by the filter would feel soft but when it was pumped the pressure would be felt as the bulb firmed up and the engine would start fine for a while

Thanks for the reply. The problem seems to be getting worse. I stopped to refuel today and the car was very reluctant to fire up again. It is booked in for a service at the Honda dealers in a couple of weeks and I have warned them about the fault. I'll let you know what they find.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...