Doing Away With Handbrakes

BAZZER RN 1

• 5 weeks later...

After the electric cars some bright spark who has never had a real job will rediscover the Horse and Cart for roads, sail ship for the sea and ballons for air travel and with AI you won't need to work.

I remember in the 70's they said that by the 90's we would only work 3 days a work and have so much leisure activties to choose from we wouldn't know which to do wonder what happened to that???

always park my cars in gear (2nd usually - as if started in gear will mostly just stall) but also always start with my foot on the clutch pedal.

Reason being, handbrakes do fail and to stop the car from rolling away.

Many years ago, Citroen very cleverly used the handbrake on the front brakes in the Xantia.
Which was fine until the brakes cooled down (obviously getting hotter on the front) and then the tolerances changed when cold and the car rolled away....rediculous idea and not thought about at design stage.

I still hear about cars with electric handbrake rolling away albeit slower than complete failure as there is some drag on the rear discs.

• Like 1

Hi all, the best " handbrake " I ever had on any car was operated by your left foot !!! 1992 Citroen XM 2.0 litre automatic estate - That car was SUPERB ! One of the best cars I have ever owned - the turning circle was amazing - far better than anything else, no shunting about forward and backwards as with other cars - the boot was huge, only the Mazda 929 estate was larger but not as tall due to the citroen`s amazing suspension !! which was out of this world !! - my accord is great and I love it but the XM was better in the areas I have listed above - can I just add, how someone with the manual gear change coped with that footbrake I have no idea, with the auto box on a hill start - one foot on the foot brake and one on the accelerator pedal - then push the release button on the dash - with the manual - no idea as you would need Three legs/feet so as not to roll backwards ?

• Like 1

I agree, Citroen have produced some excellent cars over the years and have always innovated with new technology.
The foot 'handbrake' was really brought over from America and also Mercedes have used it for many decades now.
It serves primarily as an Emergency brake (2nd/3rd line braking system) which should bring the car to a halt if needed.
Being as most of the cars that employ this type of brake have automatic transmission so it serves to hold or stop the car if needed.