Battery purchase advice

ec5780

I think it's time to replace the battery on my 2006 FR-V (petrol).

Looking around I can see various batteries priced from £35-£150, and it looks like different retailers use different codes for the same thing as well.

For example there's Powerline 048 which costs less than £40, Yuasa YBX5053 / HSB053 which is around double that or something like Lion 158 Car Battery which falls somewhere in between.

As far as I can tell all these batteries would be compatible so are there any advantages of getting the more expensive batteries vs the cheaper brands?

Hiya, Make sure that if you have start stop technology, then its wise to purchase a battery with start stop capability's. as mine gave up about 6 months ago, i went to Cox motor parts which is a Honda dealer, and they give sound advice on which battery to go for.

Hope this helps.  

• 1 month later...

Hi. might be a bit late for you on this, I have just bought a new heavy duty Drivetec Battery Yesterday for my Mk 3 1997cc CRV From GFS for £ 48.10 inc vat , saving about £ 90.00 from the normal price Check out their website and put in your Reg Number for the correct battery on this discount Deal I must add that I have no connection with GSF ,  I was looking for a new Battery and found this amazing discount

Worth a look 

BAZZER RN 1

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Another question that came to mind - some sites mentioned a "hold down", whilst others don't even seem to mention it.

What does this mean? Is this important? Can you replace a battery that has one hold down style with a battery that uses a different one?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Just replaced my battery after four years - the price was £70 from Halfords, if you work it out that is £17.50 per year - for that cost its not worth the hassle or worry just buy it fit it and forget it for another four years ! Rinse and repeat every four years 😄

On 12/8/2023 at 6:05 PM, jimbojim said:

Just replaced my battery after four years - the price was £70 from Halfords, if you work it out that is £17.50 per year - for that cost its not worth the hassle or worry just buy it fit it and forget it for another four years ! Rinse and repeat every four years 😄

Thank you. In the end I ordered an X-Pro branded battery from batterygroup.co.uk

So far so good.